"Kyle Hastings, yes," my father confirmed, pushing me towards the woman who stood up from her chair and came from behind the desk.

"Hello, Kyle. My name is Jeann. I'll show you where to go and where you'll learn to do your community service." She extended her hand out for me to shake.

"Wait, you're telling me that I have to be trained to help make food in a hospital?" I stifled a laugh. She lowered her hand and narrowed her eyes.

"There are some health policies you need to follow, whether you're here to make food or not." It was obvious I was officially on her bad side. "Follow me, please." She waved us towards her and turned down the hall.

"Please take this seriously. I'll pick you up later, Kyle," my dad told me.

"Yeah, whatever."

I turned to Jeann who was waiting impatiently. She suddenly spun around and I immediately followed her steps. She didn't look once to see and make sure I was still behind her. After a few confusing turns down the halls, we reached closed doors that had rectangular windows on the side of them.

"Here, is where you'll be helping out with the hospital staff. You listen to them, kid. If you don't, you're going to get sick and regret it." She opened the doors and we moved along into the kitchen area.

"Lorenna, Misty, there's a delinquent on your hands. Kyle Hastings. He's going to be helping you guys for quite a while. Please tell him what he's required to know," she ordered.

The woman I assumed to be Lorenna wore a hairnet above her brown curly hair. She was probably around the ages of forty and fifty. She had slightly wrinkled skin and was rather slim and skinny. Misty, I suppose, had white blond hair and seemed to be the same age as Lorenna. She had bright blue eyes and a larger figure.

They both nodded at Jeann and then made their way towards me.

"Kyle, is it?" Lorenna asked.

I nodded.

"Well, Kyle, listen up," she smiled. "You're going to just give them what they want. No cooking or anything, we handle that." 

I was going to ask why they weren't going to let me do anything other than just give people what they want. If I'm doing this for the entire summer for community service, shouldn't it be a little harder? The thought certainly came to mind, but I wasn't going to mention anything. Something told me that Lorenna's dealt with boys like me and she feels that being friendly is the best way to go to get on my good side and get me to cooperate.

I nodded again.

"How long do you have to be here?" Misty questioned.

"All summer."

"Well, it'll fly by like you don't even know it," she waved me off, giving me a small pat on the shoulder.

By the time meals came around, I ended up doing exactly what Lorenna told me to do. It was boring and pointless most of the time.

"Hi, can you give me a-... Hey," a female voice spoke.

I looked up to see a girl probably about a year or two younger than me. She had light brown hair that seemed extremely thick. It fell down her shoulders in soft curls. Her eyebrows were thick, too, and her cheekbones stuck out. Her lips were full and pink. She was probably a visitor.

"I haven't seen you here before. Who are you?" The tips of her lips started to twitch into a small smile.

"Kyle." I looked away, picking up some more sandwiches.

"Kyle," she cooed. "Suits you well."

I glanced at her, not really sure why she's still talking to me.