1.

7 months later

Kamari Torres

BAM

"WAHHHH.." sounded on the baby monitor, causing KJ to pitch up out of her sleep.

She sighed as she got up and made her way to the next room.

"Shhh you're going to wake up the neighbors.." KJ said as she leaned over the crib.

KJ looked around to see that the window was wide open for a second time this week.

She knew it had been windy lately so she closed it and held the child closer to her chest.

"You tryna sleep wimme Shy?" she asked her niece as she walked out the room.

Shiloh held onto KJ as she tried to lay her down in the bed.

"Mirry.." Shiloh cried as she pointed at the obituary.

KJ felt her heart break all over again as she finally got Shiloh to lay on the bed.

Flashback a month ago.

"I'm going up the yonder to be with my Lord."

KJ sat in the back of the church as she watched everyone walk in and walk past the casket.

She quickly wiped the tears that had made their way onto her freshly done makeup. She laughed a little as she watched Jayani walk by with a baby and fall out.

The funeral went on for an hour, and KJ listened to the pastor's sermon intently.

"Brothers and sisters, the Hebrew word Shalom has many meanings and uses. One in particular is complete peace and it can be used as a greeting for hello or goodbye. As we put Amir to rest, let us not think of it as a sad goodbye, but instead of a goodbye to someone who lived a short but whole life."

Flashback over.

KJ rubbed her 7 month pregnant belly, then buried herself in Amir's favorite blanket.