splintered stanzas: study sessions

Start from the beginning

Knox sighed before speaking, breaking the silence with talking about Chris which had become almost as commonplace as (y/n)'s chess matches. 

"Guys, I can't decide. Do I call her? I mean, what if she-" (y/n) cuts him off. 

"Knox. You broke out of the school to go see her at a football game, for God's sake. It's obvious you care about her." she said sternly, wanting to see her friend happy.

"Yeah, if you like her then go get her!" Neil cheered before being hushed by the only other female on campus, Ms. Auckland, the librarian. 

"If she's as hot as you say..." Charlie remarked, letting his words slip away to insinuate his meaning. (y/n) swatted him with a piece of paper, making him hiss and bat her hands away. 

"Just do it, and please stop talking about her," Cameron nearly begged "It's so annoying." 

Pitts looked at Meeks before shrugging. "Do whatever you want, just nothing too stupid, eh?" He chuckled to himself as he continued working. Meeks' gaze shifted to (y/n), who looked out the window drowsily, head propped on her hand while her eyes flitted closed from time to time. 

"I think you should. Don't sit around and wait for the girl of your dreams to pass you by, even if her boyfriend's an asshole." the boy took off his glasses and pretended to clean them on his dark sweater, to avoid his friends' gazes. (y/n) snored softly, having fallen asleep.

"Ha, look at that - she caffeine crashed again." Charlie muttered, completely unsurprised. Gently, Neil stood up and took his green sweater from the back of the chair before tucking the girl in, who nestled into the fabric. 

Meeks, from his position sitting next to her on her right, couldn't hide his grin. 

"Well, my hypothesis was correct," Cameron began "she's much nicer to be around when she's asleep." Knox shook his head, laughing silently. 

"She's a lot less mean when she's asleep, yeah." Pitts agreed jokingly. 

"Well, mean or not," Neil mediated "(y/n)'s a brilliant person and an even better Poet. Still, her insults really are some of the most creative I've ever heard." Pitts' eyes lit up.

"Hey, remember when the older guy,  said her skirt looked hot? And she said-" Knox reached over to quickly cover up his mouth before he could continue. 

"Nope, nope, that scarred me for life. Shut up." Todd shook with laughter at Neil's side, remembering the vibrant vulgarity that almost earned the girl a year's worth of detention.

 A hush fell over the boys as their studies were abandoned in favor of watching (y/n) stir briefly before turning and sleeping with her head on Meeks' shoulder. The boy immediately panicked, but no so much so as to wake up the sleeping beauty. 

"What do I do what do I do what do I do." he repeated over and over quietly, looking to his friends for help. Neil simply shrugged and grinned, turning to whisper in Todd's ear. Pitts made kissy faces, and Knox looked on enviously. Cameron rolled his eyes, returning to his work, and Charlie winked at Meeks.

"Nice, Meeksie ol' pal." A suggestive smile appeared on Charlie's face, but Meeks' contorted into disgust. He sighed contently as (y/n) snuggled more into his side, searching in her sleep for his warmth. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── 

After an hour of butterflies erupting in his stomach, (y/n) was still sleeping curled up next to the boy, drowning in the green fabric of Neil's  sweater. She would make little snores from time to time, melting Meek's heart each time. 

"Alright, I'm starving. Let's go get some food, boys." Charlie smacked Pitts' knee before stand up and leaving the room. 

"Later." Todd waved, confidence in himself stronger than ever before now that Neil was by his side. The rest of the boys followed Charlie towards where they could smell dinner being served in the main hall. 

"Hey-" Meeks began, but stopped himself when (y/n) stirred again. In the quickly-dimming October sunshine that filtered through the library windows, the girl slept soundly beside the boy on the vintage leather sofa while he sat still as a statue, terrified of waking his, friend, from her pleasant sleep. 

It was hours after everyone had left, about 8 o' clock - Meeks judged from the tolls of the bells in the clocktower before she finally awoke from her peaceful slumber. 

"Meeks?" she mumbled, rubbing sleep from her eyes -  a gesture that reminded him of a child. He beamed broadly at her, eyes crinkling behind his glasses. 

"Good morning, sleeping beauty. We missed dinner." he said, disentangling their bodies. 

"Aw, shit," she yawned "I'm famished. Sneak into the kitchen with me?" the girl smiled slyly at the boy, who was more than happy to tag along.

"Alright, lead the way!" he exclaimed quietly, but the librarian had left long ago. 

"How long was I asleep?" she pondered as they munched on stolen snacks, walking towards the dorms. Meeks shrugged. 

"I dunno, four, maybe five hours." he said simply, grabbing a strawberry from the girl's hands. "Dream about me, didja?" he bumped their shoulders together playfully. 

Her laughter rang out, filling every part of him like sunshine after a rainy day. "You'd adore that, wouldn't you?"

And he didn't dare lie, although his blush did not betray him.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───