Chapter 2. POV Ilgaz

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry, sayın savcım, we'll do our best!" Umut pretended to salute Ilgaz in the manner of a foreign movie.

"Don't even doubt it," laughed Ilgaz, waving the officer goodbye.

For sure Umut was very capable. And undoubtedly he's been stuck in the position for too long only out of his own humbleness. Passing the building security Ilgaz was definitely set on helping the guy to at least apply for promotion.

He looked at his wristwatch: 6:40 am. It would take him approximately a quarter of an hour to get to Sarıyer without traffic jams. Maybe Defne would still be sleeping, and he would be able to surprise his sister with her favorite kind of breakfast.

But to his great surprise it was Defne who basically jumped on him like a little koala as soon as Ilgaz set foot around the corner of their house, bumbling something almost incoherent.

"What's that Defnecim, I didn't get a word!" The man put the girl on the ground and, taking her small hand, guided them both to their father's apartment on the second floor.

"Be quiet, she is still sleeping!" Shushed Defne, carefully opening the door.

"Zehra teyze?"

"No, she is at hala's," the siblings quietly took off their shoes and entered the living room. "Our yenge ."

"Who?"

Clearly eyesight decrease wasn't the only problem the exhaustion brought. Even his hearing suffered. What was next, legs dysfunction?

"Cüneyt abi's fiancée!" Exclaimed Defne impatiently and immediately covered her mouth with hands. "She stayed yesterday, because Zehra teyze forbade her to go by taxi so late."

Ilgaz couldn't believe his ears. His cousin basically vanished from their lives, choosing to work for Yekta Tilmen. He didn't call, didn't visit, didn't even greet Ilgaz in the corridors of the courthouse if they passed each other, and now his fiancée was sleeping in his father's apartment?

"Okey, princess, let me quickly wash hands, and you'll tell me everything while we cook breakfast."

Something clearly didn't add up here, though Ilgaz didn't have much information to work with.

He quietly moved into the living room. Their guest slept peacefully and obviously rather deeply on the sofa. Long waves of brown hair covered the woman's face completely, softly reflecting the light of the sun with dark golden color. The pillow was abandoned on the floor, the colorful plaid carelessly crumpled at her feet.

Trying to be as quiet as possible, Ilgaz picked up the pillow and hesitated between tucking it under the stranger's head and putting it into the armchair. And in that second of waiting the woman moved, and Ilgaz could finally see her face.

"What the..."

In a million years Ilgaz wouldn't have forgotten that face. Perfectly arched eyebrows, always mockingly upturned. Big green eyes shining with mischief. Full pink lips stretched in a derisive smile.

"Are you free, sayın savcım? My name is Ceylin Erguvan, I'm a lawyer."

That nightmare of a case she deliberately created still made Ilgaz's blood boil in his veins. This woman did everything to piss him off, starting from scoffing during the interrogations and ending with illegally making copies of the case files. She didn't give a damn about the procedures or the order of things, subordinance, respect. She did whatever she felt beneficial, lied to save her clients, used the loopholes the law foolishly had.

Ilgaz didn't need more than one common case to realize she was different from the other lawyers though. With all the indifference to the procedures, her tricks and deceits, this woman's eyes also shone with intellect. She was attentive to details and very perceptive. And Ilgaz would have never admitted it out loud, but her philosophy and attitude towards the client absolutely bought his colleagues over.