chapter twenty-seven.

Start from the beginning

Jamie rolled her eyes once more. "I already have enough days off and I do not need rescuing." She muttered.

"You would have drowned in the bathtub had I not been there."

"I wasn't trying to drown myself, Derek!" She yelled once more, frustrated that he wasn't getting the message. "Why aren't you listening to me?"

"Because I know you're not fine," He raised his voice a bit in return. "And now apparently we're fighting because I pulled you out of the tub?"

"Go back to the trailer. The maid isn't going to do all the work for you." Jamie snarked.

"This is the happily ever after part. And in that part, the guy is there all the time, saying things and the girls love it." He then smiled all dreamily.

"Just..." She sighed in return. "...go to work. I'll see you there." When he kissed her goodbye, Jamie saw Izzie and Meredith staring at her. "I did not try to drown myself in the bathtub."

"Hey, I ate everything out of the fridge last night." Izzie shrugged in response. "Everything, including a tub of butter."

"There's no judgment here, James" Meredith added on.

Jamie took a moment to herself, composing her thoughts before asking, "Do you ever feel like you were disappearing?"

Izzie nodded. "All the time."

"Why can't I just be that happily ever after person? Why can't I believe in that?"

"We don't know what we believe in anymore." Meredith answered truthfully.

៚ ......... ˁᱸᲲᱸˀ ............ ༄

"It's- it's weird," Callie smiled differently as she was helping Bailey and Jamie set up for their lesson today with the interns. "It's weird, right?"

"Only weird if you make it weird." Jamie replied.

Bailey only blocked the other voices out, muttering something to herself, "I need more triage tear tags."

"Living with somebody I'm married to is weird." Callie continued on her rant mainly to herself because let's face it, Bailey wasn't listening and Jamie was having her own partner. "I mean, I'm his boss and his wife. At work, I'm giving him orders. In bed, he's giving me-"

"Stop right there." The shorter resident put her hand up, finally fed up. "I don't need to know this. I'm tired, I'm busy."

Jamie shook her head. "Neither do I." Then she slightly gagged.

Bailey just sighed, trying not to look too disgusted. "While I will concede you and O'Malley have some challenges to overcome, I'm asking you to remember that this day is a marathon, and my mind can only hold what it needs to know. Your sex life cannot be held in my mind today. Ever."

"Okay, Callie. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here. But today, let's do it after work." The eldest Grey sibling smiled politely.

"Sydney Heron here to lend you a hand. Hey," Another resident that Jamie strongly disliked even though she has barely interacted with the woman. It was the female's entire personality that made her hard to like. "Hi, hello. Oh, Miranda, hey. Nice clinic, very nice."

"Hey, Sydney." The other grumbled in reply.

"I mean real, real nice. Cheerful. No better way to distinguish yourself for Chief Resident than to open a multimillion-dollar clinic. Smart thinking, strategic. I, myself, have used the time to master several complex surgical procedures. But this is, um, another way to go."