Oh yeah, it's Ranlaydore time

AN - I don't know the specifics of how the timeline is set, so we're gonna say Monte d'Or was finished two years after the fall, both of Claire's deaths happened on the same date, and both trilogies take place over three years

===============

It had been nearly four years since the Masked Gentleman finished terrorizing Monte d'Or, just under two years since Targent was defeated, and over a year after Clive was arrested. Henry had invited Angela, Randall, Hershel, and Alphonse to a dinner party in celebration of Monte d'Or's twentieth anniversary. Hershel hadn't even realized until then that Angela and Randall were together again, let alone ready to marry each other, but that didn't surprise him. What did surprise him was how off he felt about it. He wasn't upset that they were together - if anything, it was quite the opposite - but for some reason, any time he recalled their interactions when they were young or wondered about their interactions nowadays, a sting of sadness accompanied the happiness.

This would be the first time he had seen his friends in four years, and, for better or for worse, he was alone. Luke had left the year before, and Desmond agreed to watch after Flora, despite her arguing that she didn't need it.

The drive to Monte d'Or was a long one. Hershel didn't mind of course; it gave him plenty of time to be alone with his thoughts. He recalled numerous times he, Randall, and Angela spent time together before what he calls the Akbadain incident. He remembered the first time he saw the Ledore's estate, Angela standing solemnly on the balcony. He imagined Henry greeting him and inviting him inside, Angela and Randall already there waiting for him. He pleasantly daydreamed about what his friends might be up to, likely chatting with one another, Angela and Randall close together, Randall probably flirting a bit and Angela giggling in response.

There it was again, that strange sadness. The mystery behind it occupied his mind for the rest of the drive.

Is it empathy? he wondered, remembering how Angela and Henry were married for so long. Surely, if Henry loved her but she loved Randall, then that must be-

No, no. It isn't empathy. Henry came out as aroace after the divorce; it can't be empathy.

Is it jealousy? He couldn't think of any reason why he would be jealous. Him and Angela's relationship was purely platonic, and he liked that. He wouldn't have it any other way. But still, it was the closest he got. Close, yet not close enough.

If it's not empathy or jealousy, then what on Earth could it be? Memories of the three as teenagers flashed through his mind, nearly all of them positive. Most positive - and, as a result, most surprising - were those of him and Randall together alone, either walking to or from school, or during fencing practice, or even their adventures together. The joy those memories brought were unlike any others, though curiously close to memories of Claire. Why do those memories make me so happy?

Slowly but surely, the pieces fell into place. An answer finally formed, one that he had rejected years ago, one that a part of him still cannot accept.

No, that can't be it.

His reasoning this time was different. Even as a child, Hershel was well aware of how an unfortunate number of people treated those who weren't straight. Thanks to his friends and family, he was never in any particular danger from it, but he knew the situation was different for Randall. His parents, especially his father, would never accept him for who he was, and Hershel knew that. Because of this, he kept everything a secret and even attempted - albeit unsuccessfully - to somehow get rid of his feelings, fearing he would put Randall in danger if the truth were to ever slip. Now, his reason was simpler: Randall was already in a relationship, and quite a happy one at that, and the last thing Hershel wanted to do was ruin it.