Steve Harrington X Reader - Holding Out

Start from the beginning

"No ones been answering-"

"Try again. Y/N can't walk right now. Especially not if those things are still out there," he pressed on.

"My car is parked on the other side of the woods," you uttered. "If we take it slow, we could make it in twenty/twenty-five minutes. I can manage that, no problem."

Steve stood up a little straighter, his hands resting on his hips as he considered your plan. "You passed out," he murmured. "You couldn't stand, let alone walk."

"Give me a couple of minutes to get my strength back and I'll be fine." 

Dustin cleared his throat. "What if the Demodogs come back again?" 

"Steve's got the bat," you uttered, gesturing to where he'd propped it up against one of the seats. "We'll be fine."

The girl scoffed slightly. "That's what they say in B-rate horror films before everyone gets slaughtered," she told you.

"No one is getting slaughtered," Steve told her, levelling his finger in her direction. "We just have to move as quickly as we can. Stay as a group. It's not like we have another option." 

*Time Skip*

Walking had been a little tougher than you had been expecting and it hadn't taken long for Steve to wrap an arm around you, helping you along through the trees. 

"So, how'd you meet the kids?" you murmured, your eyes focused on the path in front of you. "You babysit on the weekend or something?"

"No, I-" he paused for a moment, letting out a hum as he tried to figure out the right answer. "They're Nancy's little brother's friends. Met them through her before we broke up." He shrugged slightly. "We don't usually hang out, but Dustin needed help and couldn't find anyone else-"

You let out a snort of laughter. "So you were the last resort."

"Yeah," he murmured. "But he's a good enough kid." The two of you were quiet for a moment, listening out for tell-tale growls. "What were you doing out here by yourself?"

You scoffed slightly. "I wasn't by myself to start with," you sighed. "I was with Andy-"

"Andy? You mean Andy Maine?" He paused for a moment, letting out a soft whistle. "I didn't take you for the type to date assholes like him." 

You rolled your eyes. "Well, I'm not," you paused for a moment. "I don't usually, but he was being so nice at school and Chrissy said that Jason was his friend and she was so excited about the idea of double dates. I just thought-" you let out a sharp sigh. "I don't know. I thought maybe he wanted to actually get to know me, but he got in the car with me and he started getting a little too touchy-feely and-" your words trailed off. "I freaked out; kicked him out of the car and waited till he'd finished cursing me out. I watched him drive off and I just needed to get out of the car and breath for a second, but then that thing showed up."

Steve gave your shoulder a light squeeze. "Andy's an asshole," he murmured. "I swear, if he wasn't one of our best players, no one would ever talk to him."

You let out a soft chuckle, shaking your head. "I feel like an idiot," you uttered. "I mean, I knew what he was really like and I just ignored it because I thought that maybe he was ready to grow up and quit being such an-" you paused, searching for the right word.

"Asshole," Steve supplied, offering you a small smile when you nodded. "There's nothing wrong with wanting to see the best in people."

You stayed quiet for a moment, letting him steer you around fallen branches until the trees opened up to reveal your car, parked comfortably at the side of the road.