Chapter 1

a/n: Hello! It's my first time writing a story about other ship than komahina, I think. And from a different game too. I have plans of writing oneshots about different genshin ships at some point but we'll see how that goes.

Feedback is much appreciated. Votes, comments and all that. With that out of the way, enjoy reading and have a good day! ✿

Warning: R18 content

***

Zhongli's POV

"Huh... it's already this late." I concluded after taking a glance at my wrist watch. I stopped on my tracks and breathed in, enjoying the cold air. After a long day at work, usually most people rush to the comfort of their homes, however, for me there was nothing more relaxing than going on a stroll and enjoying the peaceful atmosphere of my town.

That day, I took a different route back home for a change of pace. Not being very familiar with that part of the town, I was feeling a little adventurous going along the unknown path. Xiao would laugh at me if he saw me getting excited about a simple walk. I chuckled to myself.

At some point, a lovely melody reached my ears. Subtle at first but slowly it grew louder. I could say without a doubt that whoever was playing it, was skilled in their craft. It didn't take long before I spotted a crowd ahead of me and could hear the melody much closer. With all the people around I didn't catch the sight of who was playing but that didn't matter. I happily sat on a bench nearby and listened to the peaceful sound of the instrument and serene voice of the musician.

The next day, I went down the same path, hoping to listen to their songs again and sure enough they were there, performing, and the day after. Eventually, it became my habit to go along that path to hear their performance. Although it didn't matter to me that much how the musician looked like, I've taken notice of their appearance at some point. Short, with a green, unique outfit and braids. They appeared to be quite young too.

Everyday, they're here, playing music for crowds of people. Their skill impresses me but I can't help wondering what a talented person like them is doing, performing seemingly everyday on a street. Not that it's any of my business.

And so one of these days, I was there again, sitting on a bench and enjoying the music. This time, there weren't as many people surrounding the performer so when they were taking a break I used the opportunity to give them some money as a gesture of appreciation. "Whoa, thanks!" He shouted cheerfully once noticing my gift. I smiled sheepishly not really expecting them to say anything to me. "Ah-wait! You're that old man that always sits around on a bench listening to my songs, right?" Old man? I just turned 30 this year. "I'm surprised you took notice of that."

"Ahaha! I have to, you know, for safety measures. Aaaanyway... since you paid and all, here's a song specially for you~!" This time, I stuck around with the rest of the small crowd around him. Though unexpected, having him play something for me was a pleasant surprise. It was a new song too, one that he hadn't played before. After that I had to get back to my son and make sure he was doing alright. "Till next time, old man!" It was sort of embarrassing to be called out to like that, moreover to be addressed as an 'old man', but I didn't object since he surely meant no harm.

I admit, I was fond of him. If he continued performing, I thought of supporting his music career by giving some coins from time to time. I sympathized with him too, though I was going off of my assumption that what led him to playing music on the streets was something more than simply out of choice.

Just before leaving, I gazed back in his direction. He was so bright and full of life, no wonder people would flock around him like moths. Both his music and he himself were something out of this world. At least to me their presence, the gentle sound of their lyre and voice were something I grew to cherish and enjoy.

***

I stood in the place where the performance was always taking place but there was no one around. Not a soul. It almost seemed like no one ever performed there to begin with. What a shame I won't hear his music this time. And I even went out of my way to come here during my day off... While slowly leaving, I sighed with disappointment.

That night was colder than usual, very unwelcoming for walks. Just when I made up my mind to head back home, ahead of me, I saw someone being violently thrown out of a bar. Another drunkard, huh... It wasn't a surprising view at first. Only when I recognised the familiar appearance of the drunkard, I was taken aback. He's that performer, isn't he? Heh, did he really just drink all his money away?

"-AND DON'T COME BACK!" He got a solid kick on his back and laid flat on the ground. "Aww, man... my pretty privilege didn't work this time, auch-!" He whined in pain as he turned on his back and giggled to himself. I had my doubts whether I should get myself involved, after all he must've gotten kicked out for a reason. Dealing with drunkards was something I'd rather avoid if it was just anybody.

I was really disappointed to see him end up like that but even so I still held respect for him and had the image of his great music performances playing in my head, not letting me leave him miserable like that. "Uhm... are you alright?" I spoke up to him after hesitating for a while.

"Yuuup! Ehe..." Miraculously, he managed to struggle himself up from the ground. Then the drunken man wobbled closer to me, swaying back and forth while having a hiccup. I should suggest walking him home or to a taxi just in case. "Do you live somewhere around here? I could-" He leaned on me, cutting my sentence short. "Mmm... heh, no. You can just-toss me over there or something." After pointing at a shady looking alley close to the bar, he gagged and his skin got paler. "U-ugh... yikes, I feel like I might throw up."

My eyebrows furrowed in deep concern as I was going through possible ways of helping this drunk man or if I should in the first place. Even if he's already old enough to handle this situation on his own, I'm still a little worried about just leaving him drunk and alone on the street. "Do you want to stay for the night at my place?"

"Wait, are you sure-?! Heck yeah, I'd do anything just to sleep under a roof. Thanks, old man!" So... he really was going to sleep there, if I didn't suggest it. "My name's Zhongli so I'd appreciate it if you didn't call me 'old man' anymore." I sighed. "Ah! Zhongli, gotcha. I'm Venti, hehe!"

A few minutes later we were already heading to my place or should I say, I was, because he couldn't walk straight anymore and he made me carry him in the end. What am I doing...? I hope I won't regret bringing a drunk stranger home. I should keep an eye on him too, though I'd like to believe he's a good person, I can't act naive. Once we reached the destination, I instructed him. "My son's home so don't cause trouble, 'kay?" He giggled. "Hahaha, I'd never! I'll be quiet, I promise. No trouble. None at all."

I nodded, opened the door and then he happily wobbled inside though confused where he could crash. "Dad, welco-!" Once he saw Venti, he took a step back. "me... back. Who's that." He asked coldly. Just when I was going to explain, Venti took upon himself to do so. "Ehem!" He got our attention. "Call me Venti. I'll be staying here witcha for some time~ I swear, you won't even notice me. I'll be like... a ghost." Xiao pinched his nose displeased. "You stink of alcohol." He scoffed. "How rude... hmpf!" I directed him to my bedroom to avoid further conflict between the two of them. Once he got there he stuck his tongue out to Xiao childishly.

Understanding my son's uneasiness about the current situation, I wanted to comfort him so I patted his hair. "I'm sorry about this whole thing, I know it was sudden." I smiled nervously as Xiao was now glaring at me. "It's... fine." He growled through his teeth but soon calmed down. "I'm sure you had a good reason to let this... person here. I'll go then, 'night." Before leaving, he added. "I left some dinner for you in the fridge." Since I was usually working till late, he was taking care of house chores and cooking after school. He might appear cold at times but deep down he's very caring.

Dinner can wait... I should check up on Venti first.