Chapter 28: A Hero Brought By Fate

Start from the beginning

In the middle of it all was Odette and... Felix couldn't help but look closer. Odette was with someone, and they were holding hands.

"Roger, I think..." she said in between pants. Her power was slowly increasing as each second passed. "I think I did it right!"

Felix immediately looked away. Of course, she was with Roger. The Duke probably transferred ships just before they left.

Roger smiled. He intertwined his hands with hers. "You were magnificent, love."

Odette paused, seeing that she successfully eradicated the first half of the Land of Shadows. There were dark creatures of every sort, but the Knights were able to lure them away with their weapons. Their ship continued to sail through the strong currents, and Odette's powers flowed through the land like the wind.

"You can take a break, Princess." a wizard told her. "we will take turns and inform you if we are near the center."

She shook her head. "I'll continue to increase the light magic so that we can get it done faster."

"Anastasius told me that you needed to rest," Roger reminded. "you might not be able to control your power if you continue."

"I need to finish this once and for all. This is for Obelia."

Roger looked at the view in front of them. The ship continued to venture into the darkness. It even felt as if the dark was, once again, overpowering the light. Behind them was a clear path, which meant that Odette was successful in the first few steps.

But where was the end of the darkness?

This was the farthest that any human could go. If they continued, then they'd be making history.

They'd be putting Odette's life on the line.

Roger gulped. "I don't want to lose you, Odette."

"Who said I'm dying?" she joked. "I've conquered my fears and proven that I am strong."

"Odette...." Roger didn't know what to say. What was there to say? Odette's life was at risk.

Anastasius knew the risks of letting Odette enter the Land of Shadows, but he still continued. Even the Council Members strongly advised to postpone the trip but Anastasius insisted. Roger did all he could in convincing Anastasius otherwise but--

"I'll be fine," she reassured, letting go of Roger's hands. "Trust me on this."

----------

Odette didn't know how long she was holding out her powers, but it felt as if it was slowly taking a toll on her. One of the wizards informed her that they were near the core, and he insisted that she take a rest but Odette declined (again)

The Princess took a deep breath. Lucas taught her better than this, though. During their training sessions, he taught her how to properly distribute her powers throughout her body. Heck, that damn wizard even pushed her to her limits.

Regardless, the results were fantastic. Because of Lucas' extensive training, Odette improved in all aspects.

Lucas wanted to join Odette in the Land of Shadows, but Odette said that he needed to protect the people. Odette assigned Lucas to take care of any collateral damage that her powers would do to the people of Obelia.

"If anything goes wrong in the Land of Shadows, call out my name," Lucas told her before when they were training. "I'll be there in a second."

"And what? I'll risk your identity being exposed to everyone?"

She remembered Lucas rolling his eyes. "I think it's time that they know that the Greatest Wizard has come back."

"Fine," she agreed. "I'll call you if there's an emergency."