Chapter Thirteenth

Start from the beginning

"Yeah but you have no idea where he is at?" Jasper asked.

I nodded. Our chance to get into WCKD seemed to be slipping through our fingers.

"I have a feeling that they were close enough that Thomas may find his way back to her," Gally stated.

"So we sit around and wait for Thomas to show up," Jake scoffed. "That could be ages!"

Gally and I glanced at each other.

"I think it may be sooner than later," I said.

"You think," Jahndra shook her head. "You have no real idea."

Jayce scoffed and walked out of the room.

He was soon followed by the others.

The room seemed quiet and hopeless compared to twenty minutes ago.

I sighed and looked to Gally. "We are close."

He nodded.

"Hey Joan," he asked. "What were you saying up on the balcony?"

"I don't remember, must've not been anything important," I gave a fake smile.

"You are a bad lier," he laughed and stepped forward, taking my hands into his own.

"I- I," I stammered. I couldn't say it. But then again, what was stopping me. I knew I loved Gally. I loved his smile and stupid jokes. I loved it when we faught because I knew that no one would ever stand up to me like he did. No one would ever compare to Gally.

I wasn't sure of it then, but I think I loved Gally when I came up in the box. Like loving him was a distant memory.

"I love you."

I couldn't believe I just said it. I nervously waited for Gally to reply.

"Joan," Gally's face switched expression as he went through different emotions, then settled on one I had never seen. "If we want to get into WCKD, we need to focus."

My stomach dropped and my mouth went dry.

He was right. Right now wasn't the time to fall in love. That was just a distraction.

This wasn't a world for love. It was a world full of chaos, death, and destruction.

We needed to focus on the gladers. Focus on getting Thomas back.

It still hurt though.

I nodded and pulled my hands from his, turning and leaving the room before he saw my tears.

Once I was gone, Gally sighed and fell back into a chair.

He just wanted her to be safe. And until they took down WCKD and found the others, no one was safe.

He couldn't afford to be weak around her, since he knew I was his greatest weakness.

He was wrapped around her little finger and that scared the klunk out of him. He had never felt this way for anyone.

But then again, who knew what would happen in the next few months. Hell, who knew what would even happen in the next hour.

He said there was no time for love, but maybe there is no time at all. They could die tomorrow.

He smiled as he thought back to the memories he gained during the changing. That seemed like forever ago.

He thought about how the first time he saw Joan when they were just kids. She was locked up in a glass box, more like a cage, and how he promised he would get her out.

How he snuck out every night to go see her and would stay up late talking to her.

How sad she was when she told him she was a monster and how he promised she wasn't.

When the creators brain washed him, she was his last thought.

He always felt like he was missing something in the maze, and the moment he saw her come up in the box he knew. He knew it was her.

Gally thoughts were going a hundred miles an hour and he couldn't wrap his mind around it.

"Screw it," Gally jumped up and raced after the girl he loved.

•••●●•••

So the last few paragraphs were about what Gally was thinking.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to switch to a Gally POV so I tried to work with what I had.

And the memories of them before the maze were slightly mentioned in one of Ava Paige's reports in the first book.