The Last Scene - A Final Encounter

Start from the beginning

Eleanor lets out a content sigh. "Our beautiful George."

"Our soon to be one year old," Albert remarks as Eleanor peppers his cheeks in kisses and he lets out an excited squeal.

"Is that my grandson I can hear?"

Strolling into the room with her arms wide, Katherine beams at George, scooping him up from Eleanor. He babbles as she cuddles him into her side.

"Did you have a nice nap, George?" Katherine squishes his cheek gently.

"He didn't sleep this morning," Albert scratches the back of his neck. "He had stomach ache and was up a lot of last night griping so still isn't right."

Eleanor crosses her arms. "We've simply been keeping him happy today and trying to not go crazy ourselves."

Katherine raises her eyebrows. "You should've called the house, I would have helped last night."

"We can't call you in the early hours of the morning," Eleanor shakes her head. "And besides, he's been sleeping through the night for a few months now, this was just a blip."

"Is there a little baby in here?"

They hear footsteps from the corridor and in walk Eleanor's friends, Florence and Victoria.

"You made it!" Eleanor rushes over to them and they hug each other. "How was the journey?"

Florence tucks a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear. "Not bad at all, we were just excited to make the trip."

"And to see this handsome boy!" Victoria boops George's nose, tossing her brown hair over her shoulder as he attempts to grab at it.

"Hi, little George." Florence smiles as he grabs his hand around the top of her finger.

Hugging Eleanor into his side, Albert smiles at the pair. "We're glad you could make it, it's been a while."

Both Victoria and Florence share a look, avoiding Albert's gaze.

"Yes, well..." Florence chuckles awkwardly.

Victoria's expression stiffens, turning her attention to George. "We're here to spend time with Eleanor and George and for the shopping. We need to make the most of our few days here."

Clearing his throat, Albert places a kiss on Eleanor's forehead before removing his arm from around her. "I'll let you ladies get on. I'll see you after you're back from town."

Kissing George goodbye, Albert heads out of the room and towards the staircase leading up to his study.

The ladies glance between each other, Florence twiddling her thumbs.

"Does he really stay at home all day?" She asks.

Eleanor nods, looking past them at the hallway. "He really does... it'll be at least another year under house arrest."

Sensing the mood shifting, Katherine hands George back to Eleanor, clapping her hands together. "Come along, let's spend some time out in the town shopping. I'm sure we could all do with some fresh air."

-

The streets of Oxford are busy, people weaving in and out of shops, walking past each other or being taken inside horse drawn carriages. With Oxford being a University city, lots of students walk around during their break times from studying.

The biggest reason they chose Oxford was because of William. He'd lived there as a professor for the University of Oxford for a year or so before he then moved to York for work. This meant that Albert had frequently visited him in Oxford as well as seeing Louis too who often stayed with William.