family matters

The bell rang dismissing Clara from her science class. As she exited the room, there was a girl who she understood to be Tina, handing out fliers at the door. She grabbed one, giving Tina a fake smile before shoving it in her bag, not bothering to look at it. She looked around the halls, finding Jonathan talking to Nancy. He looked like a walking cry for help. As soon as he saw her his face lit up and he made a bee-line for her, practically dragging Nancy along with him.

"See? Clara Henderson. I have friends," Jonathan said as the two approached her.

"Okay, name one more?" Nancy raised an eyebrow, looking between Clara and Jonathan and Jonathan stammered. "You can't say your brother."

Clara stifled a laugh, earning a glare from Jonathan as the three of them walked in tandem in the hallway.

"He doesn't have anymore, unless you count yourself," Clara responded, gesturing to Nancy who laughed at her statement.

"I've been trying to tell him to get out more," Nancy started, rummaging between the books in her hand and retrieved a bright orange piece of paper, like the one Clara had just received. "And I feel like this would be the perfect opportunity, but he said no."

"That's to be expected," Clara retorted, raising her eyebrows at Jonathan.

"You should come. You should both come, it's gonna be fun," Nancy said optimistically and Jonathan took the flier from her, showing it to Clara.

"Come and get sheet faced?" She questioned with an amused smile and Nancy rolled her eyes.

"You two are unbearable," She shook her head as the three reached her locker. "I will personally drag you out of the house, Jonathan. Then maybe you can-"

Before she finished speaking, a pair of arms wrapped around her and pulled her into a hug, spinning her around before setting her down. She shrieked, before realizing it was Steve and she smiled up at him, taking off the sunglasses he was wearing and pulling him into a kiss. Clara looked at Jonathan, who also seemed to be unamused by the interaction and she pulled him away by his sleeve. 

"That was actually disgusting," She scoffed, rolling her eyes as they continued down the hallway. "Did you see he was wearing sunglasses? Who wears sunglasses inside, seriously what is wrong with him? He's a-"

"Douchebag?" Jonathan turned to her with a raised eyebrow and Clara rolled her eyes again. 

"Actually I was going to say abominable jerk, but he's also a douchebag," She sighed, throwing her arm around Jonathan as they continued down the hallway. "Do you mind telling me what that was?"

"An extreme display of PDA?" Jonathan turned to her with furrowed eyebrows and Clara shook her head.

"No, you and Wheeler, what's going on there?" She asked and Jonathan scoffed, shrugging her arm off of him and shaking his head.

"Nothing. Nothing is going on there," He looked over at her, but she just stared at him knowingly, causing him to huff.

"Clara, I am not having this conversation-"

"You've totally got it bad for Nancy Wheeler," Clara shook her head, folding her arms in front of her and Jonathan looked at her almost offended.

"I do not!"

"You're getting defensive, which means you totally do and I am totally gonna barf," She looked over at him and he rolls his eyes, shoving her shoulder so she stumbled slightly.

"Barf over there then," He mumbled and Clara laughed, raising an eyebrow at him. "You wanna come over tonight? Family movie night, Bob is picking."

"I was down until you said Bob is picking," She widened her eyes at him, earning a laugh from Jonathan.