chapter eighteen!

Start from the beginning

"The best thing about it was that she would tell me constantly," Lorelai continued on, "My first complete sentence was, 'Big head want dolly'."

"I can't imagine it being that bad," Rory said, trying to dismiss her mother's worries.

"It wasn't," Emily shook her head, pausing to reminisce about her daughter, "It just affected her balance a little so..."

"Okay, can we please talk about something besides my formerly huge head?" Lorelai begged.

"Are those new chairs, Grandma?" Rory asked, examining the new chairs that had appeared in the family's dining room.

"Why, yes, Rory, they are," Emily smiled glad her special guests had noticed the new addition.

"They are?" Lorelai asked, confusion coating her face.

"I promise you they are," Thea sighed, her grandmother had gone on about the chairs for days when they had first arrived back at the house.

"I got them from a dealer up in Maine last summer," Emily explained, "He just finished restoring them."

"They look exactly like the old ones," Lorelai grumbled, looking at the chair she was sitting on, unable to see any differences.

"They're nice," Rory smiled,

"Are you sure they're new?"

"Of course I'm sure. I bought them," Emily argued.

"I don't see any difference at all,"

"Well, the arch in the back is higher and they have a completely different leg," Thea described, the attention of her mother and sister snapping to her at her description, "What? Eidetic memory."

"You have an eidetic memory?" Rory asked, confused how she'd never known this about her younger sister.

"Hmm, no difference," Lorelai dismissed, ignoring the small interaction between the twins.

"Of course, I could only get ten of those, so I'm two chairs short of a set," Emily grumbled, as Lorelai continued to look over the chairs.

"You're telling me,"

"Lorelai, do you realise how rare these chairs are?" Emily asked, glaring at her daughter, "I've searched for three years for them. I've combed every fine antique store on the East Coast and this is all I could find. I blame Peg Mosley."

"Hm, Peg Mosley. Evil, evil woman,"

"What did Peg Mosley do?" Rory asked, confused about the hatred towards this woman.

"She lured these two German children to her gingerbread house and she tried to eat them," Lorelai dramatically exclaimed, "Pass the artichokes please."

"I made the mistake of telling Peg all my favourite special spots and that woman moved in and completely wiped them out," Emily sighed, "You can't find a decent Biedermayer hutch in all of Connecticut. I'm desperate for new sources."

"What about Kim's Antiques?" Rory suggested,  a heavy silence coating the room.

"What's Kim's Antiques?"