4- Birthday/ Funeral

Sitting in my car I keep my eyes focused on the road ahead of me, more importantly the car Infront of me. I take my last bite of my blueberry bagel that is smothered in cream cheese just as Caroline gets into her car. I lean down into my seat before letting out a sigh of relief as her car drives straight. I grab my purse before running up to Caroline's front door and flipping the mat over, finding the key. I open her front door, curtesy of Sheriff Liz, before setting my purse in her kitchen and bringing all the goodies inside. 

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

My pencil runs across my sketch pad as I sit of the floor by the front door. Caroline was pretty depressed about her birthday over the phone yesterday, saying repeatedly that she's in a filler year. Basically she's depressed about the whole being 17 forever thing, so I decorated the house with black, gold, and silver decorations. She needs to accept that this is her life now, mourn her old life so she can move on with her magnificent new supernatural after life. 

The front door opens making me stop sketching. Looking over I see Elena Gilbert, Matt Donovan, and Bonnie Bennet all walking in with birthday hats on there heads and a sign in Bonnie's hand. I look up at them from the ground, "Bonjour Scooby Gang, Care isn't here yet." Matt and Bonnie send me a smile, while Elena sends me an unsure expression. She looks at the black decorations, "What's with the depression decorations?" I suppress my annoyance, keeping a smile on my face. "What's with the cheerful decorations? Last I checked the birthday girl was in a funk." 

"I think it looks nice." Bonnie says to me before sending a warning look to Elena. Sensing the awkward tension I go back to my sketching as I hear there feet go into the living room. 

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

I of course was in the restroom when Caroline finally got home. I walked into the hallway and after hearing how Caroline was really feeling Elena decided to take us to the cemetery, its times like this where I miss New Orleans funerals.

"This is creepy, even for us." Bonnie says as she pushes open the door of a tomb, holding a lit lantern in hand. Elena walks into the tomb and sets the cake on a large piece of stone, aka where a dead body is under. "No, Caroline was right...technically, she's dead. Sorry. But you don't need a birthday, you need a funeral. You need to say goodbye to your old life, so that you can move on with your new one." That's actually the smartest thing the brunette teenager has ever said. I plop down on a bench and take a swig of vodka as I watch Caroline smile. She takes the purple tiara off her head, "Okay. Here lies Caroline Forbes..."

Elena puts candles into the birth cake they brought, "Cheerleader, Miss Mystic Falls, third grade hopscotch champion..."
Bonnie continues, "Friend, daughter, overachiever..."
I hold my bottle in the air as a cheers, "The best soul sister a girl could ask for..." she smiles at me and I send her a wink before Matt joins in. "Mean girl, sometimes, no offense." Caroline laughs and shakes her head, "Ah, none taken."
"She was 17, and she had a really good life. So rest in peace, so that she can move forward." Elena says before bringing the cake up to Caroline. "That's what you really need. What we all really need. Amen, or cheers or whatever." Matt and I both drink from bottles. "Bonnie?" The candles on the cake light, "Nice! Okay, make a wish." Caroline closes her eyes and blows out the candle before we all cheer.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

I feel my phone buzz in my leather jacket pocket while I'm eating a piece of cake.
Unknown: Hello, Love.

Rosetta: Who's this?

Unknown: Ouch, and to think I made an impression.