"susannah i don't think-" laurel started.

"oh beck i knew you'd say something. let loose. they're all old and mature enough to partake now," laurel just nodded. susannah always got her way no matter how much convincing it took from laurel. "to summer." she smiled as she sat down, holding her glass up.

"to summer." everybody else chimed in.

dinner was full of conversations on what had been going on the school year before summer, jokes were made, everybody laughed. everything felt right and comfortable.

jeremiah tapped lucia's shoulder, lifting his shirt up. "check out this scar i got from playing lacrosse."

it was a long scab that traveled diagonally across his abdomen. "woah." she echoed. "how is lacrosse?"

jeremiah went on and on about the season while eventually belly was the only one engaging in his long story. he flexed his right arm for everyone to see and took his shirt in between his teeth so his stomach was still showing. "i'm basically shredded now." he mumbled through the cloth in his mouth.

lucia could tell belly was impressed as she leaned over and got a good look at jeremiah. steven hyped him up.

conrad rolled his eyes, "jere's just trying to show off his two-pack."

jeremiah shook his head and got up pushing his chair in with his foot. he moved closer to conrad.

"looks like there's more than two." lucia pointed out, physically pointing at jere's stomach. laurel let a loud laugh out; susannah having a hard time keeping hers in herself.

"why don't you show off for us luce?" conrad questioned, followed by a small chuckle. jeremiah gave him a small smack against the head and sat back down in his seat.

"lucy doesn't have to show off for us to see how naturally beautiful she is." susannah went on, shooting conrad a look. she turned at smiled at lucia.

"a beautiful piece of shit." steven added.

susannah shook her head. "and you. belly, look at you. you've grown so much." belly was sick of hearing that but it was true. she matured. "are you going to consider being a deb?" she asked hopefully.

lucia was a deb when she was sixteen. susannah easily convinced her. it was the celebration of womanhood. it gave lucia a reason to hangout alone with susannah. her escort was originally going to be someone she had met at the beach and spent the summer with but he had canceled last minute, so conrad stepped up for her. the night was perfect. at least that's how lucia remembered it.

"maybe." belly shrugged as she shoved her face with a piece of bread.

"those kinda things aren't for belly." jeremiah chimed in. "they're stupid."

"neither was it for lucy. look at her now." conrad was hopeful for belly. susannah and belly liked that.

"she's really come so far." steven raised his eyebrows mocked a mother's voice to a baby.

after dinner, laurel and susannah went upstairs to their room to watch their yearly dose of night1 movies. the three boys practically moved into the couch downstairs, just to play their video games, meanwhile, lucy and belly sat on lucy's bed as she braided her sister's hair.