“Kin of Terra,” I started stating him as if he was a pestilence. Terra thinks that some mortals should live longer. She’s just greedy because she can control some of the weaker minded life. That’s usually what we, kin of Death, kill. So, well, you know why they hate us so much. Also, kin of Terra are what humans call angels whereas kin of death are what humans call dark angels. Not devils, but instead dark angels. Humans are so naïve. Kin of Terra and kin of Death are far smarter, faster, stronger, attractive, and better than the strongest human. In fact, kin have powers. I say kin which basically means family however it may mean close friend or underling. The kins are of Terra, of Death, of Time, of Reality, and of Dreams. The ones of Terra and of Death are the strongest and they are equally matched. The other kins are weak. Of Time and of Dreams are under the control of my dad. Terra has of Reality under her grasp. Oh, and kin of Death and kin of Terra basically hate each other, “Why do you join me on this night,” I hate having to learn the manners of kin, but if I didn’t, I might accidentally start a war even though I think we are already at war with Terra, “Kin of Terra, I am,” I quickly pick a fake name that means ‘unlucky fate’ in Raoul, the language of the kins, “Staoe Heai of Death. I ask thee why you join me on this night.”

“Staoe Heai of Death I thank thee for thy manners. Kin of Death, I am,” I hear him pause. He isn’t telling me his real name. Well, I don’t care. I’ll probably never see him again, “Khaihs Wakelyn of Terra,” Khaihs Wakelyn means ‘bright idea’. I roll my eyes under the large hood, “I bid thee good night and tell thee that I heard death. I look for Nekros Chamos of Death, only child of Death of Death and his wife Doom of Death.”

My blood chilled when he said my name. Now I was scared. Dad said no one would know my name. Fifteen years of silence and then this.

“Khaihs Wakelyn of Terra, there is no child of Death and Doom. If there were, the child is already dead. There is no need to search for a nonexistent being,” I answer continuing to choose my words carefully, “I am sorry, kin of Terra, but I must leave thee to thy troubles and head back to my house and home. Thank thee, Khaihs Wakelyn of Terra.” I spun with last word, made myself insubstantial and passed through the wall into the neighboring apartment where my father stood leaning against staircase rail. I let the shadows fall away and made myself substantial again as I dropped on the floor in all my dark glory.

Dad raised an eyebrow, inclined his head toward the wall I just came through, and said, “What took you so long?”

“Terra knows,” I state seriously.

“What? How can Terra know?” He says in disbelief after stepping away from the wall. I know he’ll figure a way how to solve it soon, like, cough cough, killing anyone who knows. He curses, but regains his composure and begins to search for Terra.

Jasw Vaer Knaoy Heon Terra Semanca Fventa,” Father says reciting the spell. He grabbed a swirl of darkness and caught a spectral and told it to find Knas and tell him that he is requested.

The spectral disappears with a pop and the sudden silence settles over me in a cloud. I shake it off and say to my dad, “I’ll take care of the kin in the other room,” as I gather my cloak of darkness again.

“What kin?” my father asks offhandedly.

“Terra, kin of Terra,” I continue pulling the darkness about me. It fights me ever so slightly, but I yank it hard and it gives in. I smile step back into the room by making myself insubstantial again.

The boy, Khaihs Wakelyn is standing above the little girl and standing with his back to me. I hear the uttering of spells and know I cannot allow him to bring her back to life. I gather extreme amounts of darkness under me and make myself a wonderful ten-feet-tall figure with a glittering black sword and leap to attack the boy. He notices however.

He spins around blasts me with a burst of light. I’m pushed back and I lose concentration and the height disappears. I can see my cloak becoming insubstantial. I grit my teeth and gather the never ending darkness and push the attack. I send two obsidian daggers at the boy and watch as the narrowly miss him. He raises his hands to shoot magic at me, but I draw the floor below him upward. He tumbles down the small hill.

He stares at me as I push the floor downward and he says accusingly, “You can do multiple types of magic. You are Nekros Chamos!”

I let my cloak fall away and smile sweetly, “Yeah, I know.”

I throw a wall of light toward the boy. He doesn’t know how to fight his own kind of magic, but a half-formed shield blocks his head from the attack. He sends a spear of light toward me and I watch as he tosses a plant toward me. I raise an eyebrow as I sweep away the attacks. The plant however, starts to writhe and move. It points toward me and smacks its gigantic plant jaws together. So, he’s like me. I wave my hand and the plant disappears. The boy stops and stares. I make the plant reappear next to him. It whacks him in the head and he’s unconscious.

I start to walk back to my dad when the boy springs up and whacks me even harder in the head. Oh, the kins think that the other kins are monsters so I guess getting kidnapped isn’t so bad. Not as bad as getting killed. I see the boy’s cruel glare as I feel myself go limp with unconsciousness.