When I returned home, I noticed an unusual crowd mainly consisting of neighbours. They had their faces painted with grim.

My gut grumbled. I had a bad premonition.

On my arrival, I was notified of Grandma's death.

"It was a major heart attack" our neighbour, Honjou sensei, a retired cardiology specialist, was present on the scene and informed me.

".... I see."

They took her lifeless body on a stretcher. All I could do was curse myself for not being here, when she needed me the most.

Grandma's son, who worked overseas, never even showed up his face.

For the next one year, I lived alone, pondering about the same things over and over in my head...

Why do they keep leaving me behind?

Was it my fault they died?

Am I really a cursed child as they say?

My whole life was messed up yet I was still awfully calm.

In the end, I am nothing but a heartless monster...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Ayumi, why do you keep blaming yourself?"

The question was posed by my father's friend who was here to visit me. He was a fine man near his 40s with a great influence.

"What do you mean?" I asked him nervously.

"Your father was a remarkable person."

"...I know"

Did he just changed the topic?

"I'm indebted to that young man. He had once saved a life, which is truly precious to me."

I continued to listen without interrupting.

"But when I heard about the whole incident, it left me shaken. I'm sorry for your loss." He said politely while closing his eyes.

After a moment of silence, I asked him the meaning behind his previous question once again..but he responded with yet another one.

"You're suffering, aren't you?"

".... I'm not."

"Acting tough, huh? I can see now, you're definitely his daughter." He slowly rested his hand over my head, making me gasp in surprise.

"Uh?!"

"Relax, I won't bite." He let out a tiny laugh and continued, "I have no idea what you've been through after losing so much at such an early stage, but you need to stand strong."

He lifted his head upwards and continued once again,

"I still remember that cocky grin all over his face, whenever we used to talk about you. He was a proud father."

"That's..."

"But what if he is to witness you in such a state? Would you be able to face Asahi or old lady Yumiko?"

Hearing those names my hands began to shiver, and my vision became blurry. Yet the tears remained stagnant, refusing to slide down.

I need to hide them.
He will think of me as weak.

"No need to hold back."

"Uh?"

It was not the first time I saw Mr. Sakayanagi smile, but this time it felt different.