Act 6, Scene 5 - The Truth

Start from the beginning

"It's a few things..." She rests her forehead on the bars, looking down at her feet. "Louis is still hopeful the Yard will find Will, even though it's been three weeks since that day."

"Is he doing alright?"

She shrugs. "I'll keep an eye on him, but I'm not sure."

"But are you doing alright?"

"Honestly?" Her lip quivers and she clutches both her hands over her mouth as the tears start to run down her face.

"Eleanor..."

Soft sobs escape her, shaking her head. "I feel so alone, Albert."

"I'm right here, my dear, please talk to me." He reaches out a hand but she steps back.

"But you're not really here." She chokes back her sobs. "And you won't be here for god knows how long."

Albert clutches at the bars, eyebrows drawing together. "Please, I'm trying—"

"I'm pregnant, Albert."

For a moment he thinks he's misheard her as his ears start to ring and his vision begins to blur.

"Say that again, my dear."

"I'm pregnant. We're going to have a baby."

Eyebrows raised, a single tear runs down Albert's face and he exhales deeply to stop his head spinning. "Really? I'm going to be a father?"

She nods, one hand to her stomach and the other on the wall beside her to steady herself.

"You're going to be a father." She repeats in a quiet voice. "How does that make you feel?"

"How does that make me feel?"

She huffs a laugh, sniffing her red-tipped nose, eyes drooped slightly from crying. "Has anyone ever told you you'd make a brilliant parrot? Yes, how does that make you feel?"

"I'm so happy," Albert's lip quivers, turning up into a smile as his eyes well-up with tears. "I'm so very happy."

"Are those tears of joy?" She asks.

Nodding, he looks down at the floor. "I think so..."

Eleanor pulls the wooden chair over to sit in front of the cell, the legs screeching on the stone floor. "But?"

"But I wonder..."

She perches on the chair as he sits back down on the metal bench, running a hand through his hair.

"Would you love me less if you knew the truth?"

"The truth about what?" She asks tentatively.

He takes in a deep breath, exhaling as he hunches over. "The truth about my parents. They were insufferable to live with. Only the opinions of their social circle mattered to them and they only cared about how they were perceived. I spent most of my days away from the estate in the city and I visited an orphanage twice a week. Not only were the children a dream to be around, but they also gave me time away from my family. I hate to even call them that. The only thing we shared was blood, our ideals didn't align at all. As I've told you before, they hated the lower and working classes and thought they were swine. My younger brother William was the worst."

"William hated the lower class?" Eleanor's brows furrow.

Albert shakes his head. "The William you knew wasn't my real brother. Both he and Louis were adopted from the orphanage I used to visit."

"I see..." She crosses her arms. "So what about the other William?"

Leaning back against the wall, Albert looks up at the ceiling. "Even after Louis and William were adopted by my parents, my real brother treated them awfully. The reason William caught my eye at the orphanage was his brain. He was advising adults with his intelligence and wit, I was genuinely impressed. One day when I visited, he told me about his ideals."