Act 6, Scene 4 - The Bridge

Start from the beginning

Albert runs a hand through his hair. "I didn't get that far in my thinking. This has been my plan all along, however, things have changed now. With you, with us."

"Is that why you told me?" She questions, brows furrowed. "Is that why you said you love me? To wait for you?"

"This is all so confusing—"

Raising a hand to silence him, Eleanor's lip quivers, looking up in an attempt to stop the flow of tears.

"I don't want an excuse right now. Right now we need to support William and the others as we're in the final act of your plan."

She blinks away her tears, patting her cheeks dry and his heart aches.

"This wasn't how it was supposed to happen," He tells her, grabbing a fistful of his jacket. "I wanted it to be better, but since you told me about Paris, I couldn't keep it in any longer."

She scoffs coldly. "I'm glad you feel better."

Reaching forward, Albert grasps her hands, squeezing gently as he looks into her eyes intently. "I didn't say this to hurt you. I told you to be honest because I love you and I want to be with you. Through sickness and in health, through pain and laughter. This will all work out and I want nothing more than to be honest with you."

Surveying him carefully, eyes welling up, Eleanor shakes her head. "I don't know what to say... But right now, in front of the others... the show must go on."

-

An hour or so passes by.

With the help of the upper class, the people of London were able to put the fires out as they began to spread from the slums in the east end towards Kensington and Chelsea.

The plan had worked. Although the upper classes help at first had been reluctant, once their city and their houses were at stake, the citizens all together to save each other. Just as William had planned and that's what scares Eleanor the most.

"How he was able to predict practically every move that the public would make is beyond me." She mutters, Albert placing an arm around her.

"He truly is a genius."

Louis nods. "He's marvellous, isn't he?"

The couple shares a knowing glance, looking on at Louis.

As brothers who were orphaned from a young age and abandoned by their parents, William and Louis had a tough childhood. Not only were they malnourished due to financial issues with the home, Louis spent a lot of his young life ill with a respiratory condition. Although this improved due to treatment from Albert's reluctant late mother and father, he was still much weaker as a result. But William cared for him. He'd stuck up for him, he'd taken the fall for him and he'd looked after him like any loving older brother would.

But most importantly, he cared for him at a time when no one else did. William was, and still is, in Louis' eyes his guardian angel, his reason for everything, his hero.

So to watch from afar as your only blood relative stands on the edge of a broken bridge, above a dark river in the evening air, ready to take his final breath, Louis is understandably heartbroken. His reason for living, his dearest brother, is almost ready to meet his end. His brother is ready to die, when Louis himself thought that they would see this world through together.

"I asked Sherlock Holmes to save brother."

Both Eleanor and Albert's eyes widen. "You did what?"

"Look! It's the Lord of Crime!"

Citizens yell out, pointing at William standing on the bridge high above them in the night sky.

"And Sherlock Holmes!"

"Why would you contact Holmes?" Albert questions.

Louis huffs a laugh. "If anyone could save him tonight then it was going to be Holmes."

Eleanor sends him a sad look. "Louis..."

"He's my hero," Louis smiles to himself, the wind brushing his hair away from his scarred cheek. "If he can survive with me in this world, I'll be a happy man."

The three of them, and what feels like practically all of London, stand watching as the greatest consulting Detective and the Crime Consultant stand their ground on the tall bridge above. One is the day and one is the night while their final meeting takes place in the hours of the twilight. They begin to fight; they're back and forth, punches thrown and daggers at the ready.

"What are they doing?"

"I believe William is making a spectacle of their final meeting," Albert answers her. "He wants Sherlock to appear as the good guy."

Suddenly, William is tucking his dagger away and throwing his arms out as he steps back off the bridge.

"William!" Eleanor's eyes widen.

Rushing to his aid, Sherlock throws his body down on the broken metal bar, frantically grasping at William's hand.

"He's saving him," Louis mutters hopefully.

"Is that really what William wants though?" Albert queries. "He's looking to atone for his sins, I don't think Mr Holmes understands."

Eleanor bites at her nails. "Will's violent crimes were always bound to have violent ends."

As quickly as William is slashing at Sherlock's grip and falling closer to the Thames, Sherlock is jumping after him.

Albert pulls Eleanor closer to his side, squeezing her as he apprehensively watches his brother fall to his death.

The city seems to slow, everyone silently watching as the Detective dives after the Criminal mastermind. Reaching and grasping for him, Sherlock cries out as his fingers snatch at William's blazer. The river below them is like a fire, bright blazing embers ready to swallow them up. Their only wish is that taking this direction will rid them of their pain, of their sins as they begin their atonement.

Sherlock clutches William's limp body close to his chest as they take their final bow and plunge into the river Thames.

"Why would he do that?" Eleanor questions.

"We need a search party." Louis turns to them, eyes brimming with tears as his hands grasp the sides of his head. "We need to find him!"

"Louis," Eleanor clenches her jaw, throwing her arms around him and hugging him tightly. "It's okay..."

His body stiffens at first. But as she holds him closer, his chest tightens and quiet sobs escape him. His arms wrap around her, shaking as he cries. "He's not gone..."

A tear runs down Eleanor's cheek and she looks at Albert. There's a dark cloud over his head and he purses his lips to stop himself from crying. "Louis..."

"Why did brother have to die?" Louis cries out.

As Albert places a hand on Louis' shoulder, Eleanor sighs.

"Robin Hood had to sacrifice himself in the end."

-

-

-