4. ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴇʟsᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ɪ ᴅᴏ?

Start from the beginning

The crowd started to cheer.

Casita made a path for Antonio, making the tile red, which led to the new stairs, then turned on some spotlights, which glowed on Antonio's tiny figure.

The excited cheers slowly stopped and people stared at the youngest Madrigal expectantly.

Antonio took a deep breath, but looked around in panic when he noticed every single eye was on him. Casita moved the tiles beneath him as if telling him to move, but he couldn't... he was scared to do it alone.

He turned around to where Mirabel and Y/n were standing. He looked at Mirabel and held his right hand out, looking at her with wide, pleading eyes.

Mirabel shook her head."I can't."

"I need you." Antonio whispered.

Mirabel was about to protest more, but Y/n stopped her, "Go on.p, Bestie. He needs you." She gave her hand a last comforting squeeze and let it go.

Mirabel looked at Y/n, who smiled and nodded at her encouragingly.

Mirabel slowly walked towards Antonio, taking his tiny hand.

The crowd gasped dramatically. Y/n rolled at her and scowled as she saw a few people starting to whisper, giving Mirabel disapproving looks.

Abuela's (who was standing near the new door) eyes widened; a worried expression appeared on her face. While the other Madrigals looked at Mirabel with concern.

Mirabel let out a shaky breath and looked down at Antonio, "Come on, let's get you to your door."

Antonio smiled and clutched Mirabel's hand tightly with both of his tiny hands.

Mirabel breathed deeply and looked up at the door. She and Antonio slowly started walking towards it.

As Mirabel took every step, her mind went to her own gift ceremony. How she walked through the crowds, climbed the stairs. Took an oath, touching the candle, to make the family proud, and finally..... put her hand on the doorknob, waiting for the miracle to accept her.

But the door didn't glow. She didn't get her gift. Her door slowly started to disappear, leaving her confused and sad.

She had looked up at his grandma with a confused face, but Abuela just watched in horror as the candle dimmed a little.

She remembered crying that night in her mother's arms while her papi, Y/n (who didn't understand herself what was going on, but she just wanted to make Mira happy again) and tío Bruno tried to console her. She remembered Abuela calling for Bruno, who left the room with a panicked look but not before kissing her and Y/n's forehead, whispering, "Don't worry, I will make everything right.." and walked out of the room, but ..... he never came back.

Mirabel blinked a few times, shaking her head. Those were some painful memories. She didn't want Antonio to go through the same pain she went through. The only thing she could do now was pray.

She stood beside Pepa and Felix (who clutched each other nervously), looking at Antonio and Abuela in worry.

"Will you use your Gift to honour our miracle? Will you serve this community and strengthen our home?"

Antonio nodded, touching the candle, and slowly walked up to the door.

He hesitantly put his hand on the doorknob and waited.... As everyone held their breath in anticipation.

Antonio watched in awe as his door started to glow brighter and brighter.

Out of nowhere, a toucan landed on Antonio's hand, startling him. It chirped and squawked.

Antonio gasped, nodding, "Uh-huh. Uh-huh. I understand you."

The bird squawked again.

Antonio smiled at whatever the bird said and nodded, "Of course they can come!"

He giggled as the toucan jumped in his other hand and started to squawk loudly, as if calling someone.

Everyone looked up as they heard more birds chirping. In a few seconds, a few birds and animals entered Casita, crowding around Antonio.

The door finally cleared, creating a tapestry of Antonio holding a bird.

Abuela exhaled in relief and turned around to face the crowd, announcing, "We have a new Gift!"

The crowd and the Madrigals family cheered for the newly gifted 5-year-old.

Finally, Antonio opened the door, looking around in amazement as the room started to create itself, accommodating both Antonio and the animals' needs..

The animals entered happily, followed by the Madrigals and the villagers.

The coffee kid and his friends gasped, "It's bigger on the inside?"

Everyone moved aside as a jaguar growled playfully,  running towards Antonio, who was jumping in joy, looking at the large cat.

Antonio yelped and laughed as the Jaguar took him on its back, running around the large tree house.

"Antonio!" Felix cheered for his son.

The Jaguar (still running) growled lowly, looking back at Antonio.

"You wanna go where?" Antonio asked. "Whoa!" He gasped as the Jaguar took him to the edge of the tree and let him fall.

Everyone gasped, fearing for the worst, but laughed as the little boy landed on a hammock, giggling, "Whoa!"

He bounced from the hammock and landed on a slide. He whooped as he slid, then went flying with the help of a large snake and landed back on the Jaguar's back.

Finally, the big cat stopped in front of the crowd.

Antonio climbed down from the Jaguar safely and was instantly pulled in for hugs and kisses by his parents.

Agustín complimented, "That was great!" But stopped when the Jaguar went to him, circling around him, purring in delight.  "Okay! All right!"

"That was amazing."

Abuela cupped Antonio's cheeks, "I knew you could do it! A Gift just as special as you."

Mirabel, who was standing in the back, looked away. Guess she really wasn't special. Maybe..... she really was in denial, like that kid had said earlier.

Abuela gasped, "We need a picture! Everyone! Come, come, come! It's a great night! It's a perfect night! "

"You are not joining them?" Y/n asked Mirabel with concern.

Mirabel just shook her head, giving her a pained half-smile and shrugged, "I feel like I don't belong with them anymore." She said, looking at her family with sad eyes.

Y/n's heart broke seeing the look on her friend's face. She put on a smile and hugged Mirabel from the side. "Well, you are my sister, my family too. You'll always belong with me. We can take a picture together next, showing off our posing talent."

Mirabel laughed and nodded, saying a soft "Okay".

Two of them turned back to watch as the rest of the Madrigals posed for the picture, some showing off their 'gifts'.

"Everyone, together!"

"¡La Familia Madrigal!"

And the camera flashed, capturing the 'happy' family.

═══•°• Thank you for reading!•°•═══

Thoughts/questions?

═════════•°• ✍︎︎ •°•═════════