8: I want to break free

Start from the beginning

~~

Alex sighed as she leant up against the tree and changed the tape in her Walkman, she slipped in a queen tape and let the voice of Freddie Mercury take over.

'I want to break free, I want to break free

I want to break free from your lies'

Alex sighed, she wanted this to just be over, she was at her best right now. Sure it ensured a lot of trouble and more often then not handcuffs but she was enjoying her youth.

'You're so self-satisfied I don't need you
I've got to break free'

She was over Max, and had Rocky. She was just overreacting earlier when she said she was in love with her best friend, it was just the heat of the moment. Sure she didn't feel that spark with Rocky but she felt something, especially in intimate moments.

She let the music drown out her thoughts as she tapped along to the beat with her fingers, imagining it was the frets on her guitar and she was memorising a new riff.

She closed her eyes and squeezed them shut as the song changed to 'Hammer to fall'.

she couldn't help but relate to the lyrics, in twenty years time no-one would care about Hawkins's rough patch where a 'murderer' was let loose and Malls were burnt down. In twenty years it would be acceptable to be with girls and Alex would live a happy little life in another state with no restrictions.

But now she was here in the present with monsters killing teens, malls burning down to hide the real reasoning and hiding herself because if her secret got out she would be as good as dead.

~~

"Get in!" Max shouted to Alex, the girl paused her tape and slipped the headphones off, running to the car and sliding into the passenger seat, Dustin was in the back again as him and Steve talked it out and now he was more tolerant of Alex's lack of enthusiasm.

Max shouted at Steve to drive away so he stepped on it, lurching the car forwards as Max looked nervously behind to make sure the counsellor wasn't behind.

"What did she say?" Alex asked, wanting to get this over with.

Max shook her head, "Nothing important, that could help up anyway," Max answers quickly.

"Dustin! It's Lucas. Do you copy?" they hear from Dustin's bag, they all look to it as the boy grabbed his bag, wanting to hear why Lucas finally responded, "Dustin."

"Lucas? Where the hell have you been?" Dustin asks the enhanced radio, pulling the antenna high.

"Just listen." Lucas stressed, "Are you guys looking for Eddie?"

"We already found him, no thanks to you," Dustin says annoyed into the radio as he gritted his teeth.

"You found him?" Lucas asks.

"A boathouse on Coal Mill Road. Don't worry. He's safe." Dustin explains to him, Alex debated that he was safe, I mean the whole town was after him as he is an alleged murderer.

"You guys know he killed Chrissy right?" Lucas asked, thinking they had gone insane.

"If we have to explain this again, i swear to god I'm gonna punch something - or someone," Alex mumbled, putting a hand on her knuckles that were already red from punching that tree.

"That's bullshit. Eddie was trying to save her, Alex can back it up, she was there," Dustin argues.

"Then why are all the cops saying it was him that did it?" Lucas asked, Max sighed and grabbed the radio from Dustin and held it up,

"Lucas, you're so far behind it's ridiculous, okay? Just meet us at school. We'll explain later." Max tells him, not feeling like explaining the whole thing to Lucas who was god knows where.

"I... I can't. I think some real bad shit's about to go down." Lucas tells them. Well that's a rather ominous note to leave it on isn't it.

"What are you talking about? What bad shit?" Max asked, having the same thoughts as Alex, that was the worse way to end it. She hit the radio and still had no response, "Lucas? Lucas?"

Nothing.

"Well, this is fucking great," Alex mumbles, hitting her head on the dashboard dramatically as Steve tore towards the school.

A/N; would you be interested if i wrote a couple chapters from El's POV in the lab and we got a bit more insight into how the two girls crossed paths in the lab?

I'm probably gonna write it anyway, i just want to know if i should release it or not.