I look at Billy next and he has a small smile on his face. All the popular kids start to laugh. "Wow. That's pretty cool, Cassie," one of them says. "I bet you could have kicked her ass in a fair fight," another girl adds.

———

Last period

Like every other day, I burst out of my classroom as soon as the bell rings. I practically run out of the building to my car. When I get there, I see Dustin and Lucas standing impatiently at my car. Quickly, I reach them.

"What's wrong?" I immediately ask.

"I need you to come with us to the AV club room, now. What happened to your face?" Dustin furrows his eyebrows, tapping his foot anxiously.

"I got my ass kicked by 3 girls," I say.

I glance around the parking lot and see a girl my age get into Billy's car with him. No red head to be seen. He peels out of the parking lot, driving away quickly.

My heart hurts with a pang of sadness; I push it away. "What's going on?" I ask the two boys.

"Dustin will explain when we get there," Lucus says, taking off jogging to the middle school. Dustin follows. I run off after them in pure confusion.

We burst through the middle school's front doors and run down the hallway. We stop at a wooden door. Will and Mike are waiting in the hallway by the door for us. The red haired girl that is usually in Billy's car by now is standing with them.

"Come on," Mike says, opening the door and pulling me by my jean jacket sleeve into the room. The boys pile into the room with us, leaving the girl outside, pounding on the locked door.

"What happened to your face?" Mike asks.

I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest. Dustin interjects for me. "She got her ass kicked by 3 girls."

"How the hell did that happen? You have powers," Mike says.

"Gee, wish I would have though of that, Mike," I sass. "I couldn't show them my powers and I was outnumbered, so I took the beating." I stop talking when I remembered why I'm here. "Ok, will someone please tell me what the actual hell is going on?" I ask, looking at all the boys.

"Dustin found this weird thing and Will saw something that looked just like it last year," Mike finally answers.

"Mike, I don't speak crazy person. You're going to have to elaborate on that," I dead pan, leaning onto the low desk with my hands.

"It's a new species," Lucas answers for Mike. Mike glares at him then Dustin speaks. "I was thinking of calling it Dustanus Pollywogus. His name is Dart though."

I close my eyes and try to process what's going on. I open my eyes when I hear banging on the door.

"Hello? Hello? Guys, come on! Can I come in yet!" The girl screams from the other side of the door.

"No!" Mike screams at her. I look at Mike and he rolls his eyes at me.

The boys jump back into discussion.

"I don't understand," Lucus says.

"What do you not understand?" Mike asks, irritably.