────── 02.

Start from the beginning

His blonde hair was akin to beams of sunlight, effulgent strands left loose and wavy as they fell ruffled over his forehead. The plain white shirt that encompassed him clung loosely to his body, revealing hints of defined muscles beneath the simple fabric. You couldn't exactly tell what color his eyes were -- one moment they appeared a steely grey, like storm clouds rumbling above the horizon, and another they were a shade of rich, deep blue.

It was an enigma. Just like the couple in front of you. Just like how you must be to them.

You found yourself taking a deep inhale. The scents that danced in your olfactory senses were homey; like the satisfyingly bitter taste of fresh-brewed coffee and the nostalgic sweetness of hot cocoa, dancing an elaborate waltz with the lingering smell of a hearty meal. 

It was remarkably pleasant. You hardly got to experience the joys of mundane life anymore since you had bound your fate to your husband. A loveless marriage only bred discontent and negative sentiments -- it tainted the air with fears so prominent that you wondered how you were able to live in there.

You closed your eyes fleetingly before reopening them, a mist of bittersweet sadness befalling your lonesome vision. "Alright. Who are you?"

"My name is Loid Forger. I work as a psychiatrist at a nearby hospital," Loid gestures to himself before doing the same to the woman, "And this is my wife, Yor Forger. She's a clerk at City Hall." 

Oh. So they were married. You found yourself flushing in embarrassment at the declaration, unable to stamp out the thinly masked mortification that flooded your cheeks. You prayed that neither noticed that you were so openly ogling at them earlier, letting your mind wander to regions that should not be explored. 

They were gorgeous together. Of course they were. Sadness swept over you once again, ripping open the barely healed laceration that dug deep into your heart. If only your marriage had been as serendipitous and happy as theirs, you thought, melancholy tinting your expression slightly as your fingers moved to twist your wedding ring. It had become a nervous force of habit before you even realized. 

"I see," You replied, a bastardization of a grin accentuating your features, "You two seem like a lovely couple. If I may ask, how did you find me? How long have I been out?" 

"Loid had found you slumped over on his way back from work. Thank goodness he worked overtime today -- I don't want to imagine how you would've ended up otherwise." Yor explained, her voice trimmed with a sort of gentleness that made you melt into a puddle of sincerity.

Loid's eyes flicked to the mantle, tracing the clock's hands positioned above its ivory face. "It's nearly half-past seven. You've been asleep for nearly eight hours now."

You jumped up from your position on the plush couch, nerves fraying at the end like a bundle of exposed wires. "Oh god, when has it gotten so early? I have to go back, what will my husband do if he sees me missing..."

Your voice trailed off. Something heavy lay in your mouth, constructed of the words that made up the answer to your question. He didn't care, didn't he? You were almost certain that he'd lost all affection towards you at this point; the two of you were barely hanging onto a thin thread of agreement, constantly in danger of splitting. 

A loveless marriage, you found yourself repeating bitterly. You wondered why you were still so willing to play along in your husband's Greek tragedy, your existence to purely wait for your untimely, inevitable demise. 

A thought procured itself inside your mind. Clumsily, you turned to face your benefactors once more, an emotion vaguely resembling astonishment seeping into your tone. "How long have you been here? Have you...have you been waiting by my side the entire night?"

Loid smiled tiredly. Only then you noticed the faint dark circles that hung underneath his eyes, indicating a time of where sleep was a precious commodity. "Yor had insisted. I couldn't say no to her." 

Your mouth floundered for a response, incapable of anything but opening and closing like a fish out of water. You were entirely undeserving of this kindness. They didn't know your name, your background nor anything about you, and yet they still took you in and watched over you as you rested and recuperated. 

You looked down, biting back your sentimental tears and taking a long, shaky breath of air. When you raised your head back up, a modicum of happiness had sneaked into your traitorous grin. "Thank you so much. I'm forever in your debt. Is there anything I can do to repay the both of you back?"

"You don't need to do anything, don't worry!" Yor insisted, before catching her husband's sheepish look. She nibbled the bottom of her rosy lips as she contemplatively turned back to you, regret written across her countenance, "Well...maybe there is one thing."

You nodded eagerly, urging her to go on.

"Loid and I both have work to do today, so no one will be here to look after our daughter...if you wouldn't mind, we'd like you to look over her while we're out."

You blinked. That was an oddly simple request. Babysitting for a couple of hours didn't seem that bad to you. You didn't particularly despise children -- you rather liked them, really, which deviated strongly from what you thought about them when you were younger -- and you weren't quite ready to return home and face your spouse yet.

You nodded swiftly, a newfound determination welling up inside you. "Of course! I'd be happy to help."

Yor's entire face seemed to light up at your positive response. "Wonderful! She'll be awake soon, and I'm sure she would be happy to meet you, Miss...?"

"_____." You quickly introduced yourself.

"Miss _____. You have a lovely name." Loid finished for her, a charming smile pressed upon his countenance.

You graciously accepted his compliment with a grin of your own. "Thank you."

Yor had already gotten to her feet, smoothing down the front of her crimson sweater dress with a pleasant expression. You noticed how the soft curves of her face could portray many emotions, yet seemed to prefer the benign modesty of a maternal figure the most. 

"I'll go and check on Anya. She's a lonely child -- I'm sure she'd appreciate your company greatly." 

━━━━

[ wow i was . genuinely not expecting this fic to get as much attention as it has in the past few days lol. thank y'all so so much,, i appreciate every single one of u & ur support :DD pls forgive the stale dialogue btw its like 4 am sobs ]