Smile, Aera (3/3) || 17

Start from the beginning

jimin feels lost between his words, staring at the carpet with dead eyes as he lets his mother's words sink in slowly. though he's snapped back to reality with jungkook's loud voice as he cuts their father off when he tries to speak, "no don't! i am not jimin hyung, i won't tolerate the shit you say to cover up your carelessness! she told you there's something wrong happening with her, and you just decided to ignore it? blame her for things that aren't even her fault? i can't believe you—"

"jungkook," haewon places her hand on his shoulder, "let's talk calmly, they'll listen to you,"

"no, i'm done being calm," jungkook grits at their parents, then glances at haewon with glassy eyes, "do you not hear them noona? what type of parents behave like that to their daughter? you saw riri last night right? she was crying so much... she was begging us to leave her alone... some man hurted her like that and she— my aera, noona she must've fought him, she must've tried eveything to stop him," his voice breaks, tears leaving his eyes he turns away from his parents.

"jungkook, i'm sorry for what happened but i'm sure she just misunderstood something,"

"stop it," jungkook wipes his tears, glaring at eunmi, "it's enough, don't talk to me."

"jungk—"

"i said no," jungkook repeats, earning a glare from jaehyun this time.

"you won't to your mother like that. apologize," he glares at the younger son, standing up, "right now, jungkook. don't make me repeat,"

"no," jungkook faces the father, "not after how treated my sister all this while."

before jaehyun or even jimin said anything, aera's muffled voice fills their ears. jimin glances at towards the stairs seeing her crying as she heads down, one hand on her head and the other supporting her weight on the railing. haewon reaches out for the girl, helping her down and makes her sit on the couch, "what happened aera? are you okay?" she asks, stroking the younger girl's hair gently and gives a glass of water.

"i- i- that... that yesterday, they—" aera nibbles on her lips, looking down as she can't speak with heavy breathing and sobs leaving her mouth.

"nothing happened, aera. nobody's gonna hurt you," haewon hugs the girl carefully, rubbing her back and lets her relax, "nobody will hurt you okay?"

jungkook watches from afar, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed on his chest and tears welling his eyes.

"how can you do this?" jimin lets out, lifting up his gaze to the parents, "doesn't it hurt you to see her like that? doesn't it rip off your soul to watch your daughter so scared... wanting to die?"

"who was it again?" jungkook clears his throat, kneeling down in front of aera, staring straight in her eyes, "who was it? jaemin?"

aera's eyes widen at mention of the name, breaking into another sob as she hugs haewon tighter, mumbling something that goes mixed with her sobs, "aera, tell us baby, please. i swear he'll be dead if he's the one who hurted you," jungkook promises, his eyes holding the pain that aera cries, "jeon jaemin?"

"ahh!" aera screams, pushing him away and turns to the other side, panting deeply as her trembling hands rummage over the table, finding the glass of water and tries to have a sip, but ends up dropping the glass and spilling the water on herself.

"he better be breathing his last few hours," jungkook grits, standing up and rolls up his sleeves, glaring at his own father.

"stop behaving like that aera," eunmi glares at aera, earning a glance from the girl.

but before jungkook or anyone speaks, aera's on her feet, glaring at her mother and screams louder, "why?! i told you i don't do it purpose! i'm sorry you can't understand me! i told you! i told you! i told you! why didn't you listen to me?!" she cries, falling on her knees in front of eunmi.