Just at that moment, I saw a Neon Vest behind him, sitting up against the wall and unconscious.

Startled, I blinked, stared.

Liam turned and followed my gaze. "Ah, hell," he muttered. "Don't worry. He's not dead. Walter knocked him out with Rohypnol earlier. Poor guy's supposed to be doing his rounds around the main building tonight."

"Walter's a scary kid," I said.

Liam gave a laugh and the cold icy wind blew, and to tell you the truth I wasn't sure which chilled me more, his laughter or the wind.

"What's taking George so long?"

"He's probably just taking his time—"

I was interrupted by loud knocks on top of my head. I looked up and saw Garfunkel behind the window waving at us. He opened it and poked Liam's head with his walking stick, hard.

"What the hell was that for?" said Liam, rubbing the sore spot.

"Just testing your sanity," Garfunkel replied. "Give me the papers. It's time to redecorate. "

Liam handed him the papers and said, "Give them debauchery."

"Righteous debauchery raised to an art," Garfunkel said with a low, grumbling growl.

"Hurry up, mate."

As G disappeared into the darkness, I heard someone speaking on a microphone a short distance away. The loud music seemed to have stopped too.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Sounds like Harry," said Liam.

It actually did sound like Harry. I began to feel slightly uneasy.

"What's he doing?" I asked.

Liam scratched his head. "I have no idea. Probably giving a speech against the bourgeoisie?"

"That's crazy. This was supposed to be a cloak and dagger operation."

"I know."

Ten long minutes later, Garfunkel came out of the window and the three of us moved swiftly toward the garden behind the thickets. As we got closer and closer, Murdock's voice became more distinct. We crossed the fence and saw him on stage, gripping a microphone. The dance floor was packed with people, listening to him, curious. Some were blindly guessing his identity.

"We are at an inflection point in history," Murdock spoke, and the mic gave off a high pitched noise. "Everything is changing for the worse," he went on. "Tuition fee hikes, the ridiculous and pretentious system of teaching, and Aldous Gordon, the corrupt headmaster of Summit Line State University. His corruption undercuts the investment made by society in the education of its citizens. He is a con artist, ladies and gentlemen. And we, through unity, can destroy him."

Murmurs filled the air.

Suddenly five Neon Vests went up on the stage, holding their batons.

Liam took a step forward, but Garfunkel held his arm and tried to stop him.

"Not yet," Garfunkel said firmly.

"Look at this," Murdock said as the Neon Vests surrounded him. "Whatever happened to freedom of speech? It's more drastically constrained than ever before! It's dead!"

"That's enough. You have to step down," I heard one Neon Vest say.

Murdock stood his ground and said, "You're all blinded by some incomprehensible power. You're nothing but a puppet. Slothful, pathetic puppets. You're all just marionettes of an immoral creator. Troublemakers and poltergeists and student rebels and crime reports you continuously fail to tame. You disappoint the vengeful. Is this the infamous SLSU campus security? Wait till the HLC hears about this."