just some job interview for the summer

Start from the beginning

"Oh, just some job interview for the summer." Heyi said finally in an offhanded tone.

"A job interview!" Chanty said, horrified, raising her hands to her cheeks. "That's not what Heyi things to do."

"Some of us have to work for a living," said Heyi breezily. "See you later!" She bolted out the door be fore Chanty could follow.

Once in the hall, Heyi quickly looked around for any signs of teachers or administrators. She was supposed to be in the study hall and didn't have a hall pass. Her heart pounding, she looked straight ahead and forced herself to walk slowly and deliberately, as if she had somewhere legitimate to go. She drew a deep breath as she took in the long corridor that stretched endlessly ahead of her.

"Ms. Jung!" a deep voice called from behind her. turned around quickly, her pulse racing. 'It was Principal Spencer!' she thought in dismay. The principal was making his way quickly down the hall, his bald head glistening.

"Shouldn't you be in study hall?" asked Mr. PS when he'd reached her.

"Er, yes," Heyi said, thinking quickly. "But I have a very important job interview for the summer, and I could only get an appointment during the day." Mr. PS gave her a dubious look.

"You see, Mr. PS," Heyi continued in a rush, "I think it's very important that I learn to take on more responsibility. It's part of a-a self-development program I'm on."

"I see. Do you have a note from home about this interview?" Mr. PS inquired.

"Uh, no, I don't," Heyi said. "I wanted this whole thing was a surprise for my parents... You won't tell them, will you?"

"No, Ms. Jung," Mr. PS relented. "I won't tell them. I'll give you permission to miss study hall for your interview. But next time I won't be so lenient." He warned.

"Thanks, Mr. PS." Heyi said, flashing him a broad smile.

"And you keep up that self-development program." He called after her.

San was pacing back and forth in the light misty drizzle falling over the school parking lot, waiting anxiously for Heyi. The rainstorm had done nothing to end the heat wave.

'Why would it?' San thought. 'Why would anything happen to make my life easier?'

He looked at his watch impatiently. They had only a half-hour study break, and it was already after nine.

Just then he noticed Mingi crossing the parking lot on his way to gym class. He was dressed in tennis whites and had his gym bag slung over his right shoulder.

"Mingi!" San called, hurrying over to him.

"Hi, San." Mingi said, his cold clear brown eyes and unwelcoming. He continued to walk briskly across the asphalt, his black hair christened with a few sprinkled raindrops.

San fell into step beside him. "Do you think we could talk for a minute?"

Mingi stopped in his tracks. "What do you want, San?" He asked, his jaw set. He had been heartbroken when he had realized that San had fallen in love with Jung Wooyoung. When he'd actually left him for Wooyoung, he'd been totally humiliated. But he was determined not to let him know how hurt he was.

"Mingi, I'm sorry about what happened..." San said, swallowing hard. "I-I made a mistake. A huge mistake. I wasn't really in love with Wooyoung. I was just, uh, confused about my parents."

Mingi's eyes softened. He knew how difficult it was for San to admit he was wrong. After Wooyoung and Yeosang had gotten back together, he had actually felt sorry for San. He knew what a hard time he was going through, especially with his parents and all. He had even wanted to ask him how things were going with them, but had resisted the urge.