"barely." i say, walking towards the propped up phone.

"no way in hell." belly says.

"babes, nothings ever going to happen if you're alone crying in your rooms in your big t-shirts waiting for the boys to come home." taylor tells us.

"yeah, but... i mean, won't you be able to see our underwear underneath it?" i ask her.

"so, wear a thong." she tells us.

"no." belly and i say in unison.

"no. thongs are unhygienic. wearing a thong is basically like-like flossing your butthole." belly says, taylor and i both start laughing.

"ew! belly, thongs are mainstream." taylor says.

"shut up. we'll go." belly says looking at me, i smile back at her.

𓆉

belly and i quietly walk down the stairs, wearing the dresses taylor lent us, skipping the step with the creak. i hear the voices from the tv echoing through the empty downstairs. we walk towards the living room and hear mom and susannah laughing at the movie. we watch the movie for a second, silently laughing at one of the scenes. belly looks at me and i look at her, we nod and tiptoe out of the room.

𓆉

once belly and i finally got to the party, it wasn't too crowded. very loud. smelled like sweat and alcohol. i look around and see people. too many for my liking. i hold my bag close to my side. i'm gonna kill taylor.

"yo, gas station girls." the cashier guy shouts, walking towards us with two beers in his hands, "hey, where y'all coming from?"

"uh, a-another party." belly says, laughing.

"sweet. yeah. hey. here, take these beers." he says, pushing them towards us.

"no, no, no, thanks. we're okay." i tell him.

he looks us up and down, "so, uh... either of you got a boyfriend back home?" he starts getting closer to me and belly grabs my hand, pulling me away.

"uh." i say, scanning the crowd for any of the boys, "steven!" i shout, seeing him walking with a girl. please don't be mad. please don't be mad.

"what are you doing here?" he asks, i pull belly's hand to walk towards him but the guy just follows close, "and i-i'm sorry, wh-what are you wearing?" he says, walking towards us.

"i invited them. who the fuck are you?" gas station boy says. belly moves me to the other side of her.

"i'm their brother. they're 15, you pedo." steven says.

"w-we're almost 16." belly tells him.

"my bad." gas station boy says, raising his arms and walking away.

"jesus christ. ells, come on." he says, grabbing onto my arm, signaling belly to follow.

"what are you doing? will you let go of me, please?" i ask, handing my bag to belly.

"what are you doing? no..." steven says. i grab onto belly's hand pulling her with me.

"you're embarrassing me. and belly." i tell him.

"i'm embarrassing?" he asks, "you're embarrassing."

"why am i embarrassing?!" i ask him, letting go of belly and trying to push his hands off of me.

"quit embarrassing yourself. are you kidding me?" he says, pushing my arms away.

"stop it! steven!" i shout, as he pushes me to the floor. no. shit. please let me be dreaming.