Chapter 40: Family Heritage

Start from the beginning

"You look just like her." Her grandmother's face shone with tears as she slowly sat down near a low table. Rose turned to her thinking she could make tea when it appeared before her grandmother, "A...Are you doing this? Who do I look like?" Her grandmother motioned for her to sit, "It's time I tell you the family heritage." Rose slowly sat pouring tea for her grandmother as she began to speak, "You looked -almost exactly just now- like my older sister. She always loved this house when it would change." Her grandmother smiled as she looked around the house, which was slowly changing the color of the dark wood into a light brown. "You see, I grew up here for thirteen years, with my mother, father, two sisters and three brothers." Rose looked surprised, "You're a-" Her grandmother gently shook her head, "I am not a witch. Much to my family's massive disappointment. I was never born with magical powers, I am a squib." Rose was astounded, her magical heritage came from her grandmother. "I was thrown out of the family, ashamed I ruined the pureblood family. You see Rose," Her grandmother held her hand, "You are the only heiress to the Yang Family." Rose looked confused before she whispered, "Me? Surely you're mistaken-" Rose was shushed by her grandmother, "It's already confirmed. The locket I gave you, the only way it is opened is for the heiress to open it herself. My sister opened it before she gave it to me. I closed it after putting the picture inside." Rose touched her locket, she never took it off since two years ago. She looked towards her whispering, "Why-Why me?" Her grandmother smiled as she had tears fall, "You're the only witch in the family. Only a magical person in the Yang line can inherit the house." Her grandmother sniffed as she looked into her eyes, "Rose, I know this is crazy, but you are the heiress of this whole village." Rose moved her hand away, "Village? Wait, this is so much- I can't." Her grandmother nodded, "Rose, the Yang family is a very powerful, and noble family. You are inheriting titles, power, and prestige. I know you are perfect for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have taken you here, or given you our founder cloak. You are a wonderful witch." 

"I was actually going to send you to an all witch school here. Hogwarts managed to catch you first, and most likely for the best." She smiled at her as Rose only felt a larger weight on her shoulders, "So… Why are you showing me this? Where is your family." Her grandmother sighed as she looked around the home, "The dragon protects our family, and yet… it's why they are gone. You see, my family contracted dragon pox, after I was ousted. It was fatal at the time." Rose paused, "Why do you say I'm not ready yet?" Her grandmother smiled, "One day, when you are older and ready, you will take the final step. In order to seal the deal, you must become an animagus." Rose paused, "Animagus?" Her grandmother smiled as she squeezed her hand, "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll learn soon. Until then, do you want to do a bit of shopping? Or do you want to see the clothing of your ancestors?" Rose blinked as she tried to push back the feelings of confusion and pressure before she whispered, "Shopping?" Her grandmother smiled before standing, "Let's go then. I'm sure you'll love this small herbology shop. They have the most beautiful flowers." Rose followed her grandmother out of the house looking around as they exited, the once baren entryway was now warm and inviting, a small table available to place items on. The doors all closed behind her as she took the key, which had lost all rust and shone brilliantly. Rose realized the once dead grass and plants had come to life again. There was a murmer of water and beautiful manicure trees. Rose turned before seeing the Hanok had changed, the once spooky and decrepit house had changed to its former glory. The home looked wonderful and as the gate shut behind her, Rose felt as if she was okay. Her grandmother began to walk her down the road, telling tales she wanted to say for years. 

"And then she distracted one of the storekeepers while I grabbed an apple. Of course, we never needed to pay. We were Yangs." Rose smiled as she felt more comfortable, even excited to perform spells in front of her, in which her grandmother promised to get her the old book her sister had. "It's full of spells and useful tips. She even has little owl treat recipes. Plus you need to tell me, how are your marks in school? My sister was always horrible at potions." Rose laughed as she began to unleash the weight of keeping her life hidden from her. Telling her everything about Cedric, Alice, Hogwarts, Potions, and even about Mr. Filch. Her grandmother smiled and laughed hearing all about her great granddaughter's magical life. Rose talked about Myrtle, Ms. Norris, Snape, and even the centric headmaster Dumbledore. Her grandmother would ask some random questions ever now and then but mostly listened. Soon Rose paused to say something about last year, her grandmother patted her hand, "I already know dear." Rose looked surprised, "You do?" Her grandmother smiled, "Yes, I wrote to Hogwarts the moment I learned about you going there. I am a guardian of yours so I requested to be kept updated. I was told immediately when you were petrified, as well as your loss of temper." Rose looked away as her grandmother shook her head, "You know you should not let your anger take over. I'm very disappointed. You'll represent this family now, you can't embarrass the family. You should know to handle it with kindness, only violence will escalate it." Rose bowed her head in shame and guilt, "As for this Draco… I believe you best avoid conflict, do not go out of your way to interact. You have an image to uphold." Rose was ashamed now, her grandmother's disappointed tone was the biggest thing to affect Rose. Rose nodded, "I'm sorry Halmonee." Rose was hugged by her grandmother before she stood, "Let's go back home. We need to be there before they come home, your aunt and uncle hate it when I leave randomly." Rose nodded before she looked at her grandmother, "Halmonee… could we go here more often?" Her grandmother smiled brightly, "Of course. I've been waiting and hoping for tons of years to be able to come back to this world. Besides, I have two years of magical things to catch up on. I may not be able to perform, but you certainly deserve the experience." Rose followed her grandmother with a massive smile to her face. 

Weeks later:

A lot of things have changed since the revelation of her heritage. Rose was able to go with her grandma to the wizarding world and learn all sorts of items. Soon Rose was being introduced to the village, which was rather awkward as Rose would bow which resulted in the others bowing deeper. Rose, wanting to show the most respect, tried to bow lower before her grandmother would laugh and pull her up. Rose was rather embarrassed as a matter of fact, her grandmother was telling a family about how she was the heiress. 

"I still remember when she waddled in diapers around the house." Rose groaned as she stated, "Halmonee…" Her grandmother would just laugh and change the subject. Sometimes Rose would have to speak to someone, as they would ignore her grandmother. Rose soon learned it was because of her being a squib, but Rose held her tongue as her grandmother wished. Soon Rose had met the whole village, being respectful to the elders greeting children running around, even biting remarks from the ruder people. Eventually it was time for Rose to leave Korea, Her family decided they would wear their Hanboks, as Rose adored wearing it and her grandmother wanted to have a photo. Rose was wearing her new hanbok, which was a beautiful soft green skirt with a white top. Her grandmother did her hair for her as Rose returned the favor. Soon the house was filled with luggage, some of her suitcases were full of wizarding things. Rose had stood next to her grandma who had tears in her eyes, she often got misty when Rose or anyone else was leaving. Rose enveloped her in a tight hug, "I'll write every day Halmonee. And tell you all about my friends and experiences." Her grandmother pinched her cheek lightly, "You've grown to be such a strong girl. I'm proud of you." Rose hugged her tightly as she soon smiled with tears in her eyes, taking a photo with her grandma. 

"By Eunji!" Rose waved at her eldest cousin, who was currently clinging to her boyfriend who looked rather awkward. Her younger ones were hugging her and sniffing, they always hated people leaving. Rose gave each one a hug before she finally entered the car, slowly undoing her hair. Her father was smiling as he spoke about craving fish and chips. Her mother was laughing as she gently fussed at her husband, "We are about to go on a very long flight, and the first thing you say is fish and chips?" Rose pulled out small flowers, placing them in a small bag to place in her own bag. Her mother had a change of clothes in her father's duffle bag. Rose watched as the airport slowly came to view. Rose felt rather sleepy, but excited to go home, however, she looked forward to writing to her family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello there! Happy September 1st! Welcome all new students, readers, and teachers to Hogwarts! I'm so glad to see you all again!

Prefect S.R