iv. the legacy

✶ ✶ ✶
DEVANTAY

Olivia Abrams was even more exquisite up close. Goddammit.

Seeing as my back was to the front of the cafe, I didn't have the pleasure of watching her saunter up to our booth, close on Brooke's heels. But it was as if I could feel it in the air before she appeared in my peripheral vision. The way she effortlessly commanded all the attention in the room without even trying, guys and girls alike.

Jayden watched closely with interest. Nate on the other hand was completely entranced.

I lift my head as the two girls stopped at our booth. Brooke gives her new friend a brief introduction, and it's uncomfortably silent on our end as Olivia glances over the three of us with an inscrutable expression that has me wanting to fidget in my seat.

And holy shit—nothing could've prepared me for the way I felt in this girls presence. My stomach drops like a weight when her pretty cobalt eyes zero in on my own, only for a second before flicking towards the others.

Still, it's enough to shake me up. I'm suddenly nervous. This was a bad idea. Whose bright idea was this anyway? Not fucking mine.

"Do I know you?" is the first thing she says.

"Me?" Jayden blinks back in shock. He's got her full attention and I'm equally taken back and annoyed at how much it seems to bother me.

Clearing his throat, he eventually shakes his head under her gaze. "I'm not someone you easily forget."

Olivia raised a perfectly plucked brow, unfolding her arms from her chest that was holding her jacket closed and I finally get a glimpse of her taut figure she'd been hiding underneath.

Fuck me. I turn my head before I'm caught staring too hard, ignoring the knowing smirk Nate shot my way. He knows what I'm thinking. He's thinking the same thing. This girl was perfect looking. Something had to be wrong with her.

"Mhm," she flashes Jayden the slightest grin that made me warm all over, which was seriously pathetic considering it wasn't even directed towards me. "They all say that. Can't say I remember any of their names today."

Jayden narrowed his eyes, leaning back in his seat. "Sounds like you want me to prove it."

Brooke clears her throat before Olivia replies.

"Jayden's older brother plays for the Lakers," Brooke tells her, resting a hand on his shoulder. "Maybe that's who you're thinking of?"

"Oh," Olivia's cobalt eyes followed the hand placement, pursing her lips. "Yeah, that's probably it."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's surprised at her lack of acknowledgement to Jayden's NBA all-star brother. We all share similar looks as she looks back at the front counter without another word, letting out a soft sigh. Are we bothering her?

I frowned. Everything about this girl gave me the sense that she thought this was all underwhelming to her. Like we were barely worth her time. Who exactly was she? Or who did she think she was?

"Do you wanna sit while we wait for our drinks?" Brooke breaks the awkward silence, forever the mediator.

Olivia doesn't bother looking back, hesitating. Eyeing the waitress that approached our booth with Nate's drinks he'd ordered and cowering under the unflinching gaze of the new girl. She doesn't stick around long this time, booking it out of here the moment she places the hot drinks on the table.