Part I: Loss

-Music playing: Octopath Traveler- On a Knife's Edge
———————————————————————

You are a hunter. Your mentor taught to be wise, stealthy, skilled, and stoic. Perhaps control your anger, they said one time. If you have these characteristics, one period of wrath could cause chaos. You could take down a whole woodland of creatures, but you refuse to do such a thing only for sport or for fun. To you, animals and the forest must be preserved and taken care of. Such is the natural order of forests. But all of those thoughts changed temporarily, one fateful day...your life will never be the same.

Out hunting, you face a tough opponent. A cait. A creature with low health, but a very high physical defense, elemental defense, and evasion. You could easily defeat it with soulstones and elemental attacks. Unfortunately, you have not learned the skill "Thunderbird", an elemental attack, or have bought or taken any soulstones, both of which will never miss the cait. All you have is your trusty bow and axe to help you now. An axe can break the cait's defense, but you do not really maintain your axe, as your bow is your primary weapon. This makes your axe dull, and the absolute opposite of a trusty weapon.

"...Come, if you dare."

Attack after attack, and you still cannot defeat this creature. Suddenly, when you expect the cait to flee, it goes towards you! It headbutts you, sending you flying. You hit the ground hard and fall unconscious.

"..."

After a few hours, you wake up. It seems to be nightfall. You have the urge to do something.

"That damn cait!"

It makes you want to down the whole forest with it. Overcome by another fit of rage, you start hunting down animals that did not do anything to you, disregarding your morals. None of this was for fun and games, the idea of hunting that you despise. It was fury. Pure resentment. Soon, you have murdered every creature in that forest that you could find. You snap out of your violent state of mind, taking in what happened when you let your emotions take over your common sense. You feel your stoic nature crack and crumble, leaving behind so much feeling behind that facade. Too much. You start to tear up and cry.

"No! I- I killed them all! How...could I!? Curse such fits of emotion! I refused to mercilessly hunt down innocent animals! Then why...why did I? How must I atone for such crimes!?"

After a few minutes of tears filled with pain and agony, you come to make a decision.

(Optional: Stop the music at the top of this chapter, then play the music down below for the rest of this chapter!)

Octopath Traveler - Tranquil Days

"I must start a new life, away from my previous actions. ...I will still continue to hunt, but I must...I must learn how to control myself in times of peril, so that I do not harm anyone else."

You plan to have a journey, and go wherever your heart takes you. Your first stop, Rippletide, in the Coastlands. That place interested you since your were a young child, as your mentor told you many stories about that region. You cannot really remember what was told in those stories from years ago, so you wonder what or who awaits you there now. Packing your things, and bidding farewell to your village, S'warkii, in the Woodlands, you set off for the voyage ahead.

———————————————————————

Do you wish to continue?

Yes

No

———————————————————————