Please Don't Go

It'd been a few months since the incident, with Megan's heart.

Herbert had used all the strength he had to drag Dan from the crumbling catacombs the night of the disaster. He succeeded, but they lost Francesca.

When they got back home, they exchanged few words. Dan had pulled Herbert to the bathroom and checked him over for injuries, refusing to let him reciprocate. Herbert was somewhat used to this, but it was still strange. Dan's large hands drifting over his body, turning him, lifting him, removing clothes as needed.

After the thorough and uncomfortably quiet check up, Herbert went to bed.

Since then, conversation had been few and far between. They didn't return to the hospital, Dan would spend days at a time in the basement, doing all he could to repair it, and retrieve what work was still in tact. Herbert rarely helped, it didn't feel right anymore, he didn't have the motivation to go out, so he'd just float around upstairs trying to find little things to entertain himself.

One evening he slowly descended the worn steps to the basement, where Dan was working. A familiar sight of the tall man hunched over the table, writing notes messily greeted him. The basement was in much better shape from when he'd last seen it.

He leaned on the beam at the foot of the stairs, and watched Daniel with heavy, loving eyes. "What is it, West." He said sternly, causing the other to jump slightly. He hadn't realised Dan noticed him. "I don't know, I missed you." He gave an uncomfortable chuckle, desperately trying to lighten the mood. Cain heaved a sigh, "We see each other every day."

"Tsk, hardly." Dan turned to him finally, and Herbert felt anxiety swell in his stomach. "Herbert." He said grimly removing his glasses and rubbing his eyes, "I've been considering it for a while, and..." Herbert frowned more, staring at Dan trying to gauge his tone. "Dan." He said weakly as he started slowly stepping toward his room-mate. "Look, perhaps you were right when you said I should move out."

Herbert froze, his eyes fixed on Dan. Cain stared back, he looked exhausted. "Are you serious?" Is all Herbert could muster. "Quite." He responded sternly.

Herbert had wanted him out at one point, he was tired of Cain's insanity. He was tired of the dangerous, strenuous work, that they gained so little from, but took so much from them. He was sick off seeing the face of the man he blamed for Megan's death every single day. He was just sick, and tired of all of it. Over these silent months however, he'd had time to consider it all. The way Cain seemly fought for him to stay, using "work" as a thinly veiled excuse to make something he thought would keep Herbert there. He tried to recreate Meg, so Herbert would stay with him. It was... sweet, in a sort of sick, fucked up way. As much as he was still sick and tired, he didn't want Dan gone.

Daniel cleared his throat, and Herbert suddenly realised he'd just been silently staring at him. "I've.. already found a place, actually. I'll be out by the weekend." Herbert tensed, "What? No, no Dan." He walked toward him quickly and held his shoulders, "No, Dan, why? Why would you- why are you leaving?!" Herbert spoke frantically, stuttering on almost every word. Dan looked shocked at his reaction, "All I've done the entire time you've known me is cause problems, you've said it yourself." He said, his brow furrowing in confusion. "I... I know, but that shouldn't matter to you, right?" Dan frowned angrily and Herbert tensed more, "I don't want to hurt you, West." Herbert groaned, "Then don't! Stay here! Or- or take me with you! Just don't fucking abandon me!"

Dan fell silent, he stared down at his room-mate, shocked again. Herbert huffed and shook his hands at his sides, giving Dan a clear sign he was frustrated and overwhelmed. Just as Dan reached to touch him, he spoke again. "I have no one, Dan. Everyone I know is dead, and- and that's partially your fault. If you want to make it up to me, leaving me alone isn't the way to do it." Dan held Herbert's wrist gently, "I'm sorry." Herbert whined and looked at Dan's face. "I just, thought it would be better for you if I left. You'd be able to find someone," he was clearly trying to be reassuring, "I'm sure there are plenty of women dying to be with you." Herbert whined and his arms shook a bit again. "Don't talk about dying. Please." He gave an awkward half chuckle, "Besides, I'm gay remember?"