Hacketts Quarry

Everything started with that unearthly white wolf. It didn't seem natural, like it was from some other planet. I was too mesmerized by it to realize that it started charging toward me. By the time I realized that it was running straight at me, it was so too late. It pounced on me without warning, I didn't scream. I didn't feel scared, I don't know how I felt. Before the wolf could tear me limb from limb, a strange noise erupted from the woods and it scared off the wolf. I laid there on the ground, stunned.
     I came back to and when I did, a searing terrible pain erupted from my arm. A scream bubbled up in my throat but I managed to keep it down. I held onto my arm but I didn't want to look at it. I knew that it was bleeding profusely but I didn't need to see all that blood. I laid there on the ground, not sure what to do. A sudden spike of energy propelled me off of the ground. I ran out of the clearing and deeper into the woods. I wasn't sure where I was going but I just knew I had to get out of there.
     Ever since then, things have changed. I don't know how but I know that something did. Now, I feel this sense of dread wash over me whenever I leave my house at night, like someone or something is stalking me. I never told anyone out of fear of being mocked or told that I'm just anxious. Finally, it got to me and I had to get away. I took two weeks off from work (my boss was not happy about it but I explained the situation and she understood, in a way) and decided the best thing for me was to go camping, solo camping.
     So, that's where I am now. Deep in the woods of North Kill, 10 miles away from the nearest town. Just me and my thoughts, also bears but I choose to ignore that part. I sit in front of my campfire, leaning against a log I managed to move near my camp. My marshmallow starts to melt off of my stick but I leave it hovering over the fire. It slowly drips off of the stick until finally, the whole thing falls off.
     I pull my stick out of the fire and push another marshmallow onto the stick. My concentration on my melting marshmallow is broke when a breaking stick rings out in the night air. I look up toward the trees expecting to see a deer or some other wild animal. Instead, I don't see anything. I decide to ignore it but I can't help listening to the background noise around me.
     Faint footsteps draw closer to my camp and I tense up. They stop as quickly as they started. I ignore it once again and pull my marshmallow out of the fire. I grab two graham crackers (one with chocolate on it obviously) and pull my marshmallow off the stick. I set the stick down and take a bite out of the gooey-goodness. I can't help but smile, it brings back memories from my childhood.
     The footsteps start up again but this time they're clear, I can tell they're footsteps. I set my s'more on the marshmallow bag near me and stand up. Now, I'm not some intimidating man. I'm 5'6 and have no muscles whatsoever. So, I stand there looking like an idiot, trying to make myself more intimidating.
     I stare into the woods, scanning. I can't see anything beyond the light from my campfire. I start to relax but before I sit down, something wizzes past my head but I duck out of the way before it hits me. Adrenaline starts pumping it's way through my body and I take flight. I run into the deep dark woods, trying my hardest not to trip on fallen trees or plants.
     After what seems like forever, I run into a clearing and slow down. I place my hands on my knees, trying to catch my breath. The adrenaline starts to fade and my body starts to feel weak. I stand up and turn to make my way back into the woods. My path is blocked by an unseen man holding what looks to be a gun. I hold my hands up.

"Please! Don't shoot!" I plead but the man shoots anyway.

     I expect to feel a hot pain but instead, my body slumps forward and my eyes start to become heavy. The man walks over to me but before I can get a good look at his face, my eyelids close.
     I wake up from someone rubbing my face. I want to smack the hand away but I can't move anything.

"It's probably going to be a bit before you can get back up on your feet. These tranquilizers are pretty effective." The man says with a giggle.

    I feel my face heat up and it causes the man to chuckle.

"Hey now, relax. I'm only messing with you."

     I mange to open my eyes and I'm met with an unfamiliar face. He has dark hair, dark eyes, and a stupid duck face grin.

"Morning sunshine."

     I frown and try speaking but my throat rejects the request. I start coughing and the man helps me sit up. He grabs a cup of water and hands it to me. I don't trust him but I'm so thirsty that I ignore the fact that it could be drugged. I gulp down the small cup of water. Once I finish it, he takes the cup from me and leaves the room for a minute. My vision starts to clear and I take in my surroundings. I'm in a jail cell, a really crappy and dank one. I try moving off the cot but a chain stops me. I look down at my wrist, there's a cuff on it and the other cuff is attached to the jail cell bed.