June 17, 2022: Princess Ingrid Alexandra's 18th Birthday gala

Comincia dall'inizio

All of which makes me so very happy to see the person you are: Ingrid, you have a self-assurance that will be an asset for you throughout your life.

And it is also important for me to say to you today:
You have many people around you who want to help you and support you.

You have all of us who love you. Marius and Magnus – who will always be there for you, just as you will always be there for them. Mamma – who you can go to whenever things are difficult, who is such a good listener, and who can always help pinpoint the problems and find solutions.

And of course you have me – and your entire extended family.

Crown Princess Mette-Marit:

Dearest Ingrid,

On the day you were born, 18 years ago, Pappa and I drove from Skaugum to the Rikshospitalet University Hospital. Later that same day, after a truly beautiful birth, we came home with the miracle that is you. Today, you are a beautiful young woman, ready to step into your future. A clear-sighted young woman, strong and resilient. Your father and I are immensely proud of you, and we love you more than you can know.

And as Pappa said, the two of us are now standing here with you together with Marius and Magnus, your grandparents on both sides and your extended family. Everyone who loves you the most. You are also surrounded by the good wishes of people from all across our country, who wish the best for you both in honour of your birthday celebration and for every day of your life to come. You are part of a historic line of succession to the throne of this country.

Today, sweet daughter of ours, we are celebrating your coming of age, but we are also celebrating the coming of age of our country's princess in line to the throne.

Norway consists of more than mountains, forests, plateaus, fields and seas; it consists of the dreams and hopes and joy and sadness of all the people who live here.

Norway is the sum of all the knowledge, thoughts, actions, and, perhaps most importantly, of the values of all the people who live here. One of your most important tasks will be to stand together with all Norwegian women and men through their good days and bad days alike. To see them, to understand who we are as a whole, and to ensure that everyone feels they have a place here.

That is what King Haakon did for his people, what Pappa's grandfather King Olav did, and what your wonderful grandfather our King has done for his people. You follow a path that many wise people have walked before you.

You have to find your own way along that path, Ingrid. And no one who knows you has doubted for a moment that you have what it takes to do what you have been called to do.

Crown Prince Haakon:
On this milestone day, I would like to talk a bit about freedom. Because everyone has the opportunity to find their freedom. And you do too.

I hope that you feel you have the freedom to pursue the education that you want. That you find something you want to excel at, and that truly sparks your interest.

That you feel you have the freedom to find the friends who are good for you. Friends whom you can trust and be yourself with. You are fortunate to have many good friends around you, Ingrid. Many of them are here this evening.

There is also great freedom to be found in nature, in sports, in mastering physical challenges. Physical mastery combined with the splendour and power of nature can provide a deep feeling of freedom. I have been able to share many such experiences with Marius and Magnus and with you. And I hope that nature and sports will continue to provide you with pockets of freedom throughout your life.

Berit's husband Bjørn has talked to me a number of times about duty as a value, as a positive force. I am not certain whether it was something he mostly said to me or whether he talked to others about it as well. It is fully possible to find freedom even in doing one's duty. I realise that this is a heavy thing to say to an 18-year-old. I certainly did not really understand it when I was 18. But I think it is true at a fundamental level. Which is why I wanted to mention it today.

The couple took turns giving their speeches.

Then Ingrid gave her own speech she had to wipe away tears as she thanked her brothers, Marius and Magnus, and her voice even broke as she spoke of them.

In emotional words, she said: "Marius, thank you for everything I have learned from you, and for us to talk together about everything. Thank you for always protecting me. Magnus, you are always kind to me when I need it. Thank you for giving me a hug when I have a little extra tough day. I'm so proud to have you as brothers."

She finished the speech on a triumphant note as she ended with a toast. "Cheers," she declared, as those around her broke out into rounds of applause.

Other speakers during the evening included the Princess's grandmother, Marit Tjessem, and the President of the Storting, Masud Gharahkhani. Mr Gharahkhani concluded his speech by congratulating the Princess on her special day and expressing warm wishes for her future on behalf of the Storting and the people of Norway.

The dinner ended with the Norwegian birthday song, Hurra for deg, led by the musical artist Metteson, who got everyone in the hall singing.

Later in the evening, the guests danced a polonaise and enjoyed a variety of other musical performances.

3,572,823 likes princessclaudine Princess Claudine and Prince Florestan attended the birthday gala for Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway's 18th birthday at The Royal Palace in Oslo, Norway

3,572,823 likes
princessclaudine Princess Claudine and Prince Florestan attended the birthday gala for Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway's 18th birthday at The Royal Palace in Oslo, Norway.
View 21,966 comments