30 | coup de grâce

Start from the beginning

A back-crawling shiver made red feathers shuffle, unintentionally bestrewing dusts of snow on the clear cemented floor. The rain that had departed yesterday had returned into smaller fits of snow. Hawks entered the commission's establishment expecting warmth to envelop his frigid body when a cool breeze brushed against his skin upon walking into the building. Due to the commission's limited tight budget, which was not even enough to fully pay its employee's salary, they couldn't afford a heater.

The winged pro hero treaded to the elevator then through the empty halls. It was no surprise to him that the building was almost unfurnished and had an eerie silence that made an uncomfortable atmosphere. The place was simply depressing.

Arriving infront of the president's office to relay his report, he gently turned the knob and was about to enter when he heard voices inside the room.

"Have they given us an answer?" He heard the president ask.

"Yes, however, it is only a proposition. I'm afraid that we all have to wait for more concrete answers." Answered Dottie.

Hawks, deciding on giving them some privacy, was about to close the door when one statement caught his attention causing him to halt.

"They theorized that the serum doesn't work well on Y/n because of the palladium poison that remains in her body that is deteriorating the serum. Hence, its effects are quite weaker than it should be."

'Serum?' Hawks stilled and left a slit gap to allow the voices seep through it for him to hear.

"Then if that is accurate, the serum will have to be injected again." said the president.

"But, madam, if we do, it will completely exacerbate her mental instability. Surely people would instantly notice with the press on her trail. If news does spread about her anomalous behaviour, and with the public knowing she's under this commission, the CIA will eventually know."

Hawks was now alarmed by this information. He was absolutely clueless about the topic which only concerned him all the more. And to think that they were afraid that the CIA could possibly be involved, it did not take him long to figure out that whatever the discussion was about it was highly confidential. He couldn't believe his luck upon overhearing their conversation.

"Nevertheless, we shouldn't worry much for this is only a mere theory. We have no choice but to wait." Dottie continued, "Even so, despite the given casualty, I don't think anymore of the serum will suffice. Truthfully, I don't think we even need the serum to begin with. When we proceed with the discussion regarding her part of the deal, it will be enough to push her into the edge then, it'll be in her own volition to jump over it."

Ivan released an incredulous hum. "How are you so sure about that?"

"I've known her long enough." Dottie smiled and continued with a quote, "Life will always be bad enough so that the desire for the better is not extinguished in a man."

The red winged hero felt his anticipation eating his mind. He subconsciously pressed himself against the door while maintaining a grip by each passing second of the tense silence.

"I see. . ." Ivan muttered thoughtfully.

'See what?' Hawks silently grumbled, ticking back over Dottie's word to decipher any secret meaning but he found none.

"Does she know about—"

"No, she does not know or even fully understand what's the serum doing to her body except the general obvious change." The president said. "Well, I don't think it is necessarily essential for her to know given the current circumstances. It shouldn't be that much of a problem, it is better for her not to know."