vii. 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐌𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐃

Start from the beginning

-¯'★'¯-

   LATER THAT DAY, I was called to Admiral Simpson's office. I shake nervously as I walk to his office. Sure, I've been here loads of times. But with the high-stakes of this mission that I need to go on, I can't afford another infraction on my record. I take a deep breath before knocking on his door and entering.

"Lieutenant Austin." He greets. Inside the room is both Admirals and Captain Maverick.

"Admirals, Captain." I nod addressing all of them. I feel my stomach doing cartwheels. This is it. I'm out of the running for the mission. I mean I was up against Hangman, he was definitely the obvious choice.

"Lieutenant, you are aware that this mission is in less than two days. Correct?"

"Yes sir."

"You're also aware that we do not have a mission leader yet?"

"..Yes sir."

"Well, Captain Maverick here has informed us of his decision on the teams that will fly the mission." There was a pause, I wasn't sure he wanted me to respond so I just nodded. "Surprisingly, his decision wasn't too bad."

I had no idea why he was telling me this. We just stood there in silence until it finally clicked.

"Congratulations Lieutenant on being named mission leader." I could not help the smile that came to my face and I'm pretty sure Admiral Simpson smiled too. I also think that's the first time I've ever seen him smile.

"Thank you sir."

"You understand the risks of being mission leader, therefore you should understand the risks of even going on this mission."

"Yes sir."

"You are dismissed. I have no doubt you will do great things."

"Thank you sir." I say again. I look at Maverick on my way out, he looks proud. He smiles at me and gives me a thumbs up. I smile back, I don't think I'll ever wipe this smile off of my face.

But then it hits me. What if I don't come out alive from this mission. What if I lose someone on this mission. That would be my responsibility and It would haunt me forever. What if-

Bradley.

-¯'★'¯-

"BRADSHAW." Everyone went to the Hard Deck that night to get wasted before the big mission. I didn't, I had too much weighing down on me. I did not want to have a massive hangover in the morning. "Bradley, hey I need to talk to you." I tapped him on his shoulder, interrupting his game of nine ball.

"Is everything okay?" He asks when he sees me. I look over his shoulder at Phoenix who gives me a look.

"Yea-Yeah. Everything's fine. Just-" I breathe "Just come with me."

   We walk down to the beach, where we have been together the past couple of nights. We stand in silence because I don't know what to say.

"What's wrong, May?" He asks. I look over at him. "Come on, we've been friends for forever, I can tell when something is bothering you."

"It's just the mission..." I sigh. "Admiral Simpson pulled me into the office and named me mission leader."

"What? That's awesome!" His smile seems so genuine. I know that he wanted to be mission leader, but he looks so happy for me. He picks me up in a hug and spins me around. "That's awesome, May!"

I couldn't help but giggle when he put me back on the ground. "I know," I sigh leaning into him, he wraps his arms around my waist causing thousands of butterflies to erupt in my stomach. "I'm just so worried."

"I understand." He nodded, prompting me to go on. His once joyful expression rested into a more concerned one.

"What if I don't come back? What if someone else doesn't come back. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if that happened." I can feel my eyes start to water. "I mean if something happened to you, that would haunt me forever."

"I'm just worried Maverick picked the wrong person-"

"May, don't say that." He cups his hands around my face, wiping away my tears with his thumbs. "Maverick chose you for a reason. Don't you ever doubt that. You are able to fly this mission and Maverick knows that you will succeed."

I hold onto his wrists and nod.

"Darlin' you have nothing to worry about. Don't worry about me, I will be fine." He smiles. In that moment, everything does feel okay. Bradley holding me is a greater comfort than I could ever imagine. "You are going to be amazing. No doubt, I know you will."

"Thank you, Bradley... I needed that."

"Anytime, May."

No one moves. We just stand there, staring at each other. My eyes wander to his lips and feel my heart skip a beat. His were doing the same. He started to lean in. My breath caught in my throat.

He closed the gap and put his lips on mine. I felt like fireworks were going off. Under different circumstances, this would be perfect. But, I pulled away.

I didn't say anything, I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to feel.

"I-I'm so sorry May." He stammers out. "I don't know why I did that." He frantically pulls himself away from me.

"Hey it's okay." I say patting his shoulder awkwardly. "I'm gonna go... I've got some things I need to take care of."

Bradley stayed there and watched me as I walked away. I looked over my shoulder at him, took a deep breath, and ran right back to him. I grabbed his face and pulled him into a kiss.

I don't know what we are now. I don't know if what's going on is still going to be a thing after the mission. But all I know is that I want to kiss him. So, I do. We have to enjoy each other right now in case one of us doesn't come back.

A/N

A/N

..they kissed

how do we feel about that? Is it too soon?

irdc bc i love them so much

please vote and comment, it helps me out so much! I love hearing your feedback and my pm's are always open :)

-cj