The squad truck pulls into the firehouse, kelly and carter hop out first benny following the two looking somber.

"What's going on with you?" kelly asks, "yeah, sorry, It's just seeing everybody hustling into a building, not knowing what to expect, that rush, and, then, remembering all the guys that never came out, I don't know, for some reason, it just got me thinking about all the brothers I lost on the job" benny explains not missing the way kelly holds onto carters hand like she
could disappear at any given moment, "well, you got a key to the place, why don't you hang out there until we finish the shift?" kelly offers, "no, no, no, I'm good, I'm good" benny says, "you sure?" kelly asks, "yeah, I'm good, thanks, you should be asking yourself that question kelly, you're holding onto that girl like she's going to vanish" benny points out, "I'm fine dad, it's just comforting to have her with me whenever I can" kelly explains causing benny to drop the subject.

The three lieutenants enter the common room together.

"Did heather come by" kelly asks, "yeah, she, uh, this whole academy dinner thing, she wanted to tag along with me and Hallie" matt explains, "you're back with hallie?" carter asks, "no, no, no, so I told her she should come along anyway, right" matt explains as kelly grabs two sets of utensils and two plates placing them down next to each other, "yeah, it's good you're doing that" kelly confirms, "yeah, and listen, after Andy, I know she took her frustration out on you, that wasn't right" matt explains, "well, she needed time" kelly shrugs, "we all did" carter adds, "it'll be really good to see her" kelly muses as gabby corners the two squad members on their way to their office, "all right, this baby thing, she's just overreacting, right?" gabby asks, "you remember when Clarice first dumped her? the dragon tattoo thing?" kelly asks, "yeah" gabby confirms, "we watched for an hour while the guy traced that pattern all down her side before she backed out" kelly explains, "she watched as I got my tattoo before spontaneously deciding she needed one to change herself" carter says, "yeah, but this seems different, she seems, like serious" gabby admits, "so she has a kid, so what?" kelly asks as he pulls carter along to their office.

The three roommates stand around the island kelly making himself and carter a sandwich each as shay makes herself some healthy thing as benny watches.

"So lesbian, huh?" benny asks causing carter to laugh at how upfront he is, "pop, what the hell?" kelly berates, "yes, sir, I am" shay answers with a laugh, "you guys have come a long way, what, with marriage rights and the like" benny states, "mm-hmm, we sure have" shay agrees, "tough growing up?" benny asks, "um, no, I mean, two big obstacles growing up gay are confusion and lack of acceptance, and I was lucky I didn't suffer in either department" shay explains, "parents?" benny questions, "um, yeah, divorced, but both on board, really cool" shay explains, "well, that's great" benny praises, "you good? I mean, you got everything you need?" kelly asks, "tell me did you set kelly and carter up? I've been saying he needs a good woman for a while" benny asks, "can I just make a sandwich here?" kelly asks, "hey, my son is head over heels in love with the woman he's been pining after for a long time, I have every right to find out if you had to be set up" benny protests, "you know she's coming as my date to the academy dinner" kelly says, "what? since when, I don't remember you asking me" carter teases, "you're coming so it makes sense for you to go as my date, shay you can be a tag along with dawson" kelly says, "like dude, ask me first" carter prompts, "Carter would you like to go to the academy dinner with me" kelly asks, "see I knew you could do it, I would love to go with you" carter agrees, "shay's not drinking so she's designated driver" kelly declares, "well thanks for consulting me about it first" shay responds sarcastically.

The two squad lieutenants rush over to the crashed car.

"My legs are stuck, I can't get out" the passenger explains, "we're gonna need the spreaders" carter says as kelly tries to open the door, "Capp, Hadley, get the spreaders" kelly instructs, capp and hadley grab the spreaders handing them to kelly who proceeds to get the passenger free.

Kelly stands at the bar with Carter as the bartender hands him two drinks.

"Thanks" kelly says as he passes one to carter, "these things always freak me out, too many people in one room for my liking" carter admits with a laugh as she sips her drink, "focus on me and you'll do great" kelly soothes as he links arms with carter walking to the main room when they bump into heather and matt, "hey!" carter greets heather, "hi" heather greets back giving the woman a hug, "hey, heather" kelly greets as the two women pull away from the hug, "hey, kelly. it's good to see you" heather greets back, "i'm really glad you could come" kelly muses, "yeah, me too, I mean that" heather agrees as she and matt walk away, kelly re-links his arm through carters leading her to the dining room, the two ending up tangled between their sheets.

double update anyone?