01

"O'CONNELL MICHAEL," an enlistment officer spoke

"O'CONNELL MICHAEL," an enlistment officer spoke. A young man places his newspaper down as he stands up, wearing only his boxers. The officer calls the following name he repeats this step.

"Kaminsky Henry,"

"Boy, a lot of guys getting killed over there," Steve Rogers spoke before his name was called out. "It kind of makes you think twice about enlisting, huh?" The man next to Steve says.

Steve places his newspaper down, and he doesn't hesitate to answer the man's question with a simple "Nope" as he walks in line.

Steve Rogers' dream is to join the army. He believed he had no right to stay behind when men were risking their lives fighting in the war. What better way than to try to enlist himself in the war?

Steve approaches the doctor as he examines his papers. "Rogers," he spoke. He then looked up at Steve and down at his paper once again. "What did your father die off?"

"Mustard gas," Steve said. "He was in the 107th infantry. I was hoping I could be assigned-"

"Your mother?" The doctor interrupted him. Steve answered, however. "She was a nurse in a TB ward. Got hit, couldn't shake it."

The doctor looked at his papers once again. His reports showed a summary of his health issues, and boy was there a lot. From Asthma to High blood pressure to heart trouble, the man was nowhere near shape for war. Especially since he was the size of a ten-year-old and the size of a skinny pencil, and that was the problem for Steve; no matter how much he tried to get enlisted, his height and size were always the problems.

The doctor looked at him. "Sorry, son,"

"Look, just give me a chance," Steve begged.

"You'd be ineligible on your asthma alone." The doctor spoke. Steve sighed, looking at him. "Is there anything you can do?"

"I'm doing." The doctor spoke. "I'm saving your life."

The doctor stamps a prominent 4F on Steve's papers. A sign of disappointment spread across his face.

BARBARA POV

"Congratulations, Jones," This was the last thing I heard from Peggy Carter before being recruited as her partner for the war. I have no idea how I landed working with a boot camp officer during this time of war. My father has taught me so much about being in charge and what it was like to fight in wars from his experience. My parents had me right after World war I ended. Of course, my father expects me to be a boy. It didn't stop him from treating me like his princess and his warrior, as he likes to put it that way.