When I pull into my usual parking spot, I notice a familiar blue Camaro parked across from me. I get out with my backpack and see Billy is leaning on the trunk facing me.

I walk passed him without stopping, and I hear his confident footsteps rush after me.

"Cass! Wait up!" He yells, catching up to me and falling into pace. I wait for him to mention the beer I stole from his pocket yesterday, but it doesn't happen.

"Thought about the party?" He asks.

"Yes," I say.

"And?" He drags out, tossing his lit cigarette to the side.

"I think I might go," I say with a shrug.

I glance at him from the corner of my eye and see him smiling. It causes me to laugh a little.

"What?" He asks, returning to his macho facade.

"Nothing," I tell him. I hear a scoff and look over at the small group of girls leaning on a car, Tina is right in the middle of them.

Instinctively, I duck my head and walk a little faster. Billy walks a little faster to keep up with me.

"Are you really letting those girls get to you?" He asks.

"Um... I-" he cuts me off. "They are not worth your time. Don't ever let them see you weak. Next time that happens, you roll your eyes and stand up taller. You need to be more confident. Got it?"

This catches me off guard. "Ok. I-I got it."

———

After school, I walk to my car and drive to the police station. When I walk in, the receptionist greets me and lets me go straight to Hopper's office. He's sitting at his desk talking to a man about the man's farm. Hopper looks incredibly annoyed and frustrated.

"Cassidy? What are you doing here?" He asks, looking away from the man.

"Um, I wanted to talk to you, but obviously your busy, so I can wait outside," I say awkwardly trying to back out the door.

"No, no. We are done talking anyways," he says before turning to the man in across from him.

The man nods and stands up. "I'll meet you outside," he tells Hopper before walking out and disappearing out the door.

I decide to take a seat where the man was sitting.

"I have a question," I state, clasping my hands together in my lap.

"Go on," Hopper says, leaning back into his chair.

"There's a party tonight and-" he cuts me off. "No."

"But, Hopper," I say, frustrated with his answer.

"No. There's going to be boys and drinking at this party," he says, crossing his arms over his chest. He's definitely more worried about boys than anything.

"You don't know that," I say, crossing my arms.

"I'm not stupid, Cassidy, I've been to parties before, especially teenage parties," he says, leaning backwards in his chair.

"Please, let me go. I'll do anything!" I beg.

"Cassidy, no," he says again.

I hear the doorway creak and I whip my head around so fast my curls fly into my face.

"Come on, Hopper. Let the girl live a little. I mean come on. She's gonna go whether you say she can or not. I mean your lucky she even told you about it," Phil, one of his deputies, says, smoothing his mustache.