05. ALL THE PLAID

Start from the beginning

"It was your suggestion to leave, Harrington." Any and all melancholy had been forgotten in favour of whatever the hell was to come next. Laurie smiled up at him as he came to another stop, turning to face her. "I was perfectly happy to stay right there." Right there on the porch, because nothing could possibly be real and everything was warm and blurred and the real world was muffled. Out there and the cold night air rippled against her cold skin and somewhere in her subconscious a terrifyingly huge shadow monster loomed over Hawkins, although she couldn't quite remember it just then.

"Oh yeah?" He asked, using the hand that held hers so tightly to pull her close against him, and the cool was replaced by the radiant heat of someone with enough common sense to realise it was almost November in Indiana. "You would've stayed right there?"

She nodded, smiling up at him as a finger curled beneath under her chin and drew her in, pressing an almost chaste kiss to her lips before he fell back, eyes dark under the pale blue light of the moon. "That's mean." She murmured, steadying herself on the fabric of his black blazer and when he kissed her again it was greedier, more urgent, and he grinned when she nipped at his bottom lip.

From somewhere behind them, from where Laurie believed to be the front of Tina's house - she hadn't really paid much attention to where exactly Steve was taking her, but she could only assume it was towards his car - and the sound of attempted, drunken wolf whistles sounded out. She half expected Steve to panic, but somewhere in it all he had decided that everything really was bullshit, and instead he let out a laugh, a teasing, stupid laugh as he leant into kiss her again. Her hand rose, emerging from between them as she flipped them off, smiling as she heard a crowd of laughter.

He kissed her once, twice, and then again, before a few more distracted steps over the lawn found them stood by his car and Steve leant against the door. "Your house or mine?" He asked, pulling away in a breath. She didn't like it, hands needing into the fabric of his blazer.

"I don't know where my brother is." Laurie told him.

"Ah yes, because that's so important."

She rolled her eyes. "I live in a trailer park, Steve, figure it out."

"My house is closer anyway." He hummed, an arm wrapping around her waist.

"By about five minutes." Laurie shook her head. "Parents?"

"Business trip in Michigan."

Her eyebrows raised, confused. "Both of them?"

"Talking about my parents really isn't doing it for me." But his hands were smoothing over the pleated fabric of her skirt and fingertips were flicking beneath the hem.

Laurie tilted her head, eyelashes lowered over her eyes. "Something in your pants is telling me otherwise." She hummed.

"Oh, you got me." Steve let go of her, pulling at the handle of the door and holding an arm out. "After you."

Laurie slipped down into the leather seats. "And he's suddenly a gentleman." She murmured to herself as the door was closed behind her, and she reached for her cigarettes with one hand and went to roll down the window with the other. "You mind if I smoke in here?" She asked, as he slipped into the driver's seat.

"Go for it." He replied, twisting the keys in the ignition, pressing a couple of buttons on the dashboard so that low, indistinguishable music played through, and before Laurie could really ground herself and figure out what was going on, they were off.