"Why don't you prefer spring, though?"

"Huh?"

"It's not too hot, but not too cold, either." Teru pointed out, he just wanted to object to his opinions to hear him speak more. Certainly, that was normal to want- they were still 'friends,' interested in each other or not. "There's still work to do. It's not too busy around, and that's when nature starts to bloom."

"..yeah, so?"

"I'm just wondering," he shrugged slightly, "spring and autumn are quite similar temperature-wise. Why prefer autumn?"

"I'm.. not sure. I've always liked autumn more, I never really thought about spring. I guess it's nice?"

"Spring is the start of new beginnings.. it also starts soon." he stopped walking, lifting the hand he was holding. "We could start it together.. a new beginning for the two of us. Does that help you change your mind?" he pressed a kiss onto the top of it.

"Uh," Akane froze up, his heart pounding against his chest. Teru noticed his flustered face instantly, the winter conditions highlighting the dark red blush on his cheeks.

"Well? What do you say?"

"No."

"Eh?"

"I like autumn." Akane retracted his hand before walking over to a bench. "There's no changing that, Minamoto-san. Sometimes, things can't be changed."

Things can't be changed. What did he mean by that?

"I don't see why you want to change my mind, anyways." he huffed, "They're just stupid seasons. I can start spring on my own, it's not special."

Right, of course- he meant his opinion. Akane was stubborn, that would've been a natural response. He was set on believing he was right from day one.

But then why did the phrase sound so familiar?

The awkward feeling, the slight pang in his heart- what was that? What did that mean?

"I just wanted to see your view on it, was all~ or maybe I wanted to hear your voice a little more. Is that too much to ask?" was Teru's response, he ignored his thoughts. "You're cute when you're frustrated."

"You're awful." Akane muttered with a flustered expression, "..I'm gonna go walk my cat."

"But cats-"

"Yeah.. it's too late. I'm gonna leave."

"You aren't even getting up, Aoi." Teru walked over to sit beside him. "Are you telling me that you want to be on this date?"

"No," Akane rested his head on Teru's shoulder right after saying that. Something about that.. Didn't exactly seem platonic. "This is just an exchange."

That's right.

Teru had to remind himself Akane was only there because he wanted to pay him back.

Akane was only there because he was convinced Teru only wanted to flirt with him. It was most likely Akane even knew it was teasing.

Yet he still went along with it. He was still there, his head against Teru's shoulder. He sat comfortably, engaging in conversation despite sounding like he didn't want to.

Was that part of his 'payback?' Perhaps Akane wanted a little more, too. Maybe neither of them wanted to admit it.

"You can tell yourself that, ahaha~" Teru rested his head against Akane's. "Whatever makes you happy."

"Hey, Minamoto-san." the boy beside him mumbled, his tone surprisingly gentle. It was almost like he was a completely different person. Almost like he might have let his guard down, (that wasn't what he wanted, now, was it? They both knew that much.) but only temporarily.