August 5, 2022: Wedding Day

Beginne am Anfang

'Promise to Love Her' by Blane Howard is sung by the Choir of Westminster Abbey and the Choir of Her Majesty's Chapel Royal, St James's Palace with the London Chamber Orchestra and the Fanfare Team from the Central Band of the Royal Air Force, conducted by James O'Donnell, Organist and Master of the Choristers.

Princess Claudine walks through the Quire joined by her brother, Prince Maurice, Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven with Prince Florestan and Ralph Ward ahead, waiting at the High Altar.

Just below the steps leading up to the Altar, the families of the bride and groom are seated, with the Royal Family on the south and the Grimaldi family to the north.

Finally, after a four-minute procession, Princess Claudine reaches the Lantern, and takes her last steps to the High Altar to greet Prince Florestan.

11am – 12.15pm – the ceremony: The marriage takes place in the Sacrarium upon the beautiful Cosmati Pavement, a rare mosaic pavement laid in 1260.

The service is conducted by the then Dean of Westminster, the Very Reverend Dr John Hall, and the marriage solemnized by the then Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend and Right Honourable Dr Rowan Williams.

Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer is sung by the congregation, a powerful and much-loved Welsh hymn often sung at State occasions.

The Vows (solemnization of the marriage)

The Archbishop receives Princess Claudine from her uncle and brother's hands. Taking Princess Claudine's right hand, Prince Florestan says after the Archbishop:

Prince Florestan: I, Florestan Louis Roger Honoré, take thee, Claudine Mary Rose Louise, to my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse: for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law; and thereto I give thee my troth.

They loose hands. Princess Claudine, taking Prince Florestan by his right hand, says after the Archbishop:

Princess Claudine: I, Claudine Mary Rose Louise, take thee, Florestan Louis Roger Honoré, to my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse: for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law; and thereto I give thee my troth.

They loose hands. The Archbishop blesses the ring: Bless, O Lord, this ring, and grant that he who gives it and she who shall wear it may remain faithful to each other, and abide in thy peace and favour, and live together in love until their lives' end. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Prince Florestan takes the ring and places it upon the fourth finger of Princess Claudine's left hand.

Prince Florestan: With this ring I thee wed; with my body I thee honour; and all my worldly goods with thee I share: in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Princess Claudine: With this ring I thee wed; with my body I thee honour; and all my worldly goods with thee I share: in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

The Couple kneels.

Archbishop: Let us pray. O Eternal God, Creator and Preserver of all mankind, giver of all spiritual grace, the author of everlasting life: Send thy blessing upon these thy servants, this man and this woman, whom we bless in thy name; that, living faithfully together, they may surely perform and keep the vow and covenant betwixt them made, whereof this ring given and received is a token and pledge; and may ever remain in perfect love and peace together, and live according to thy laws; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.