1. After Meet: Ares and Aphrodite

The atmosphere in the palace was cold and silent. The clinking of the silver echoed along the long halls. Sipping, crunching, sipping crunching. Coughing. A nightmare.

"Aphrodite." Hera's voice was cold and sharp.

The goddess looked up and cleared her throat. "Yes, your majesty?" Her voice trembled a bit, and it was noticeable.

Hera scanned the goddess. Her eyes slowly looked at every nook and cranny she could ever see in Aphrodite. The short silence made her fear grow even more.

"How was last night? Did you and Hephaestus have fun at the play? Im sure the muses were eager to see you both there."

"The play? Oh! The play yes. Oh, it was lovely so much..fun. The muses did really well."

She scoffed and continued to eat. Clearly pissed off. Aphrodite, embarrassed, turned to look at Zeus and Hephaestus who had their heads down and were silently eating. Did she miss something or did she say the wrong thing?

"Did I say something wrong?"

"You weren't at the play. Were you?"

Silence.

"WERE YOU!"

Zeus's head bolted up at Heras's shouts. Hephaestus's head stayed down as he poked at his food with the fork.

"Hera. enough."

Her head snapped in his direction.

"Your majesty. No...we were not at the play."

"How dare you lie to me."

"We did not want to go." Hephaestus finally spoke. His voice had a hint of fear and didn't try to look up at anyone.

Before Hera could angrily respond and Aphrodite could try and defend both of them the sound of heavy doors slamming made the queen stand up. Her chair screeched on the marble floors. Leaving a small white line with many others that were there before. Heavy footsteps began to approach them. She made her way to the door and opened it. A god already standing there. He was large and clearly tired.

"Mother."

"Ares."

He looked at Zeus.

"Father."

"Ares..."

He looked at his brother.

"Hephaestus."

Silence.

Then at Aphrodite.

"Goddess."

"Ares."

He smiled at her. Making his way to the table they all were sitting at. Ares pulled out a chair and sat next to his brother Hephaestus. In front of Aphrodite. Hera sat back down and cleared her throat. Picking her fork back up and continued to eat her meal.

"So Ares, where were you. I haven't seen you in so long. I missed you." She pouted and looked at both her sons. Knowing very well what she was doing.

"At a play. Very wonderful, the muses outdid themselves this time." He grabbed a piece of bread and took a large bite out of it, looking back at Aphrodite who was looking back while drinking out of the golden cup.

She stopped and slowly looked up at Ares, then at Hephaestus, and finally at Aphrodite. She didn't want to believe what she heard. It could've been a coincidence. Must have been. MUST BE. Zeus could see that Heras's blood was boiling and so he stood up to end the night.

"Thank you Aphrodite for joining my family tonight for such a lovely dinner. We wish to see you and Hephaestus again soon. Right Hera?"

The queen was seated and glaring at her plate.

"Yes. You and Hephaestus."

Aphrodite stood up and bowed her head. Gathering herself and walking to the large door of the dining room.

"Thank you for the night."

"Goodbye, Aphrodite."

They all spoke as Hephaestus followed behind. But all she could hear was the voice of the god who came late. His eyes haunted her mind. Reminding her of the night they met.