My Untouchable Love

Start from the beginning

"Grandpa, is it true that monsters live in that forest?" I asked him when we started walking home.

"The mountain God forest? It's only a legend." He said. "When I was little, I wanted to see the monsters, so I went with my friends. Even though we didn't see anything, I thought I saw something from the corner of my eye. Every summer, you can hear a faint melody from the forest at night. Now that I mention it, Mild and the others once secretly participated in the summer festival in the forest, but...it was impossible for the villagers to have a summer festival in the forest. So what was that festival? Everyone thought they might have entered a monsters festival, creating a big commotion. What a memories. Childhood was so much fun."

I enjoyed listening to grandpa's story, still wondering if it's real or not.

The next day, I came back to the entrance of the forest and I saw him waiting for me.

"You came! I didn't think you would really come back."

"You were waiting for me?!" I said excitedly, trying to jump on him. But as usual, I receive a smack from him.

"You'll never learn."

"I was too happy, so I...sorry."

"It's really hot here. Let's go somewhere cooler."

"Eh?"

"Don't worry, I'll bring you back."

"Okay!"

We walked through the forest, as we pass by the trees and went inside the forest, I saw something looking at me.

"Mew, isn't that a human child? Can I eat it?" said the monster that causes me to shiver and stand behind Mew.

"No. He's a friend of mine."

"Is that so? Human child, don't touch Mew. If you do, I'll eat you."

"A-Achoo!"

Mew sneezed and the scary monster turn into a white fox.

"Ah, a fox?"

"It's also a monster. They transform to scare humans but, they're actually good creatures."

The fox monster scamper in a hurry.

"That's so cool! It's my first time meeting a monster. They do exist!" I exclaimed excitedly.

"What do you take me for?"

"Is Mew a faceless monster? Why do you wear a mask?"

"No real reason. Enough about me. Tell me about yourself, Gulf!"

"Are you interested?"

"I'm here because I'm interested."

I giggled to his bored answer.

The next few days I went to the forest. In those days running around and playing...even the boring things made me feel extremely happy.

"Mew, are you awake?" I said to him when we meet again. He lay down on the grass, seemingly asleep with his mask still on.

It doesn't matter if I touch the mask. I thought, my heart thumping, removing Mew's mask.

My heart beat faster when I saw what behind the mask.

With his eyes open, he smile at me.

"Sorry!" I put the mask back on him rather harshly.

"Ah, ow!" He exclaimed. "Assaulting someone who is sleeping! Children are scary! That hurts!"

"Sorry! But you were only pretending to be asleep!"

"Anyone would do that!"

"Why do you wear a mask?"