zero.

ღ - zero;; 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐯𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭.

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊, yet the pearl white moon managed to shine over the clouds as the rain poured heavily. The sky grieved the deaths of countless soldiers who fought until death and rivers of blood traveled over the mud and mixed with the rain, but that didn't matter right now. What mattered was her.

" E-Ella... why..? "

The arms of a knight in black armor trembled as they reached out to grab her oh, so delicate body. Kneeling on the ground, he took no mind of the corpses surrounding him as he rested her head on his forearm. Tears threatened to spill out of his eyes and he choked on his own words, struggling to say something, anything.

"(name)..." Her pale blue eyes fluttered open as they stared into yours. Hot tears raced down your cheeks as you embraced her dying body. She let out a small chuckle.

"I'm sorry (name), it's my fault-"

"No...no it isn't. It's mine. For letting you enter the knight academy. For letting you fight. For not protecting you...." Ella's eyes widened slowly as she felt tears drop on her porcelain face. She smiled softly and a hand rose to caress your cheek. Your eyes widen and you lean into her touch.

Her hand...was cold. She was going to die soon. You let out more tears as Ella started to cough out blood. She parted her lips and tried to speak, but there was too much blood in her mouth. Helping her get rid of it, you waited patiently for her to talk.

"(name)...protect the kingdom for me...like we always did together." Your eyes widened drastically and your brows furrowed in concern as you shook her lightly, hoping she would wake up. You held her to your chest, bawling your eyes out.

"Ella? ELLA? ELLA!!?"

There, surrounded by fallen comrades, blood, and rain; the Dark Knight mourned and mourned until his tears dried out, leaving only a shell of what used to be his young cheery self and a dear friend, lost in battle.

"We raise our glass for the new alliance between Daenyth and Vrokreantis!"

The king rose his own with a prideful smile as the public erupted into cheers and raised their glasses. It had already been a month since the very battle that had scared and haunted you; your heart had eventually given up as you closed yourself off. The nobles and civilians, each of their own respective kingdom, conversed with each other as if the war between them had never happened in the first place. As if those thousands of people hadn't died in the very battles they set up, to win a war that never meant anything from the start.

Your closed hand squeezed itself harder until you felt nails almost pierce thorough your palms, eventually drawing blood in one of the wounds you had created. Sighing, you separated you fingers and stared at the untouched glass of champagne in your grasp with a dull gaze. You didn't need more scars than the ones you already had.

Besides, this was a celebration, was it not? The flowers and decor the royal staff and gardeners had prepared were truly a marvelous work, the castle was cleaned and prepped from top to bottom by the most prodigious maids, and the best chefs from across the country had been called for the making of the alliance's buffet.

The kings shook hands and laughed, it felt as if they were mocking the rest of the KIA knights. You scowled, taking the glass of champagne and drinking it all in one go, slamming the glass on the silver platter one of the butlers who were passing by held. Ignoring the alarmed man, you fetched a small plate and chose a pastry.

"Now, for our most honorable member of the Council of Knights: (name) (last name), the Dark Knight." The crowd turned to face you, who had just finished eating, placing the plate down on the table. "The kingdom of Daenyth thanks you for your services."

With a nod, you bowed and exited the party.

You stood at the Chapel's altar, the 10 hours of standing at the the Chapel of the Castle were coming to an end. A sword and a shield were placed on the altar, receiving some bored or longing stares from the ones sitting on the pews. A wide, red carpet spread from the altar to the end of the chapel, stopping at the dark wooden doors. Finishing your silent prayer, two servants opened the door as the king and queen entered with grace.

The priest of the room fluttered his eyes open as he gestured to the queen to take the purified sword and the blessed shield. She complied and took them gently, careful to not drop them. As the queen, Eudora Davonius, positioned herself in front of all the guests, you knelt down on one knee in front of the royal.

You clear your throat quietly.

"I vow to continue defending to my uttermost the weak, the orphan, the widow and the oppressed; I will be courteous, and women should receive my special care. Never shall I give evil counsel to a lady, whether married or not; I will treat her with great respect and defend her against all. I too vow to refuse any trafficking with traitors, nor betray the country. And I shall observe fasts and abstinences, and every day hear Mass and make an offering in Church."

You knew this was the last thing the king wanted - as you had been serving the kingdom for years - and he wanted you to finally rest. It was a kind offer on his part, but you refused. You were still young, and even if there were no more wars, it was still your duty to protect this kingdom.

The king nodded and accepted your oath, giving the queen access to promote you into one of the highest ranks. Eudora struck a blow with the side of the purified silver sword, smiling down at you.

"I dub thee Sir Knight: Highest member of the Council of Knights."

You rose up and bowed, giving her a grateful smile. The crowd clapped with joy at your ascension as you sighed, returning to your stern gaze as the King and Queen gave you their congratulations.

After all the guests had congratulated you, you took the chance to leave after asking for permission. Sighing in relief, you almost groaned when you heard a cheery and bubbly voice from afar. When will you be able to lie down and take a nap?

"Yoo-hoo! Sir (name)! Wait for me!!"

— ♡ —