She called me Mama!

America sniffs, all the crying having made her nose run. "Really?" She asks, shyly.

"Really!" I grin widely, placing my hands either side of her head and kissing her in a motherly way on the lips.

"I was so scared, Wa-Mama..." She admits, still shaking from the whole ordeal.

"I'm sorry I didn't get here quicker, sweetheart." I apologise, feeling guilty that she got so close to getting sucked into the portal.

"I-I thought you said this wouldn't happen as we are training with them." She stutters, looking nervously at the wall where the portal had been.

"We've only done a few sessions, Ammy. Things like this take time to master." I tell her truthfully. I didn't have control of my powers in a few days, and I still don't have full control now...

"I don't wanna loose another Mom..." She whispers, gripping onto me tightly.

"And I don't want to loose another kid." I weave my fingers through her knotted bed hair, in an attempt to calm both her, and myself. "I will use my magic to make sure nothing like this happens again."

I feel America nod into my chest, clearly tired from the nights ordeals.

"Get some more sleep, princessa." I try to lead the brunette over to to her bed, but she digs her  heels into the carpet, as her breathing picks up again.

"No, no, no, no. No more sleep! Please Mama! I don't wanna go back to sleep!" She begs, sounding desperate.

My heart immediately breaks, as I can see the exhaustion in her eyes. "Why don't you sleep in my bed with me?" I suggest, remembering how that used to calm my boys down after a nightmare.

America looks up at me, and I see her huge brown bloodshot eyes. "Please..."

I don't wait any longer, before hoisting the small girl up onto my hip like you would a toddler, and letting her wrap her arms and legs around me, as we walk to my room where I had thankfully re-hidden the Dark Hold. I'll get back to that later.

I pad across the carpeted to my large double bed, and gently lay America down under the covers, before climbing in next to her.

America doesn't hesitate to practically lay on top of me, with one leg and arm slug over my body, so my shoulder served as her pillow.

I didn't mind at all. On the contrary I craved her warmth and it filled me with happiness to know she was here, and safe.

"You comfy there?" I joke in a soft voice, running my hand up and down the girls back.

"Mmhh-hmm." America hums, nodding her head, while she struggled to force her eyes to stay open.

"Close your eyes, princessa." I whisper softly, rubbing large circles on her back, which always used to help Billy and Tommy fall asleep. It's also how my Mama and Papa used to get me to sleep when the war got bad.

"What if I have another nightmare?" She asks, sounding scared.

"Then I'll be here to pull you back." I promise the pre-teen, running a finger down the bridge of her nose to help lull her back to sleep.

~~~

The next time I wake up, sun was pouring through the closed curtains.

I feel a weight on my chest, and see America peacefully sleeping with her body sprawled across me.

I smile at the sight, gently brushing some hair out of her eyes, and making sure I position my hand, so she isn't woken up by the sun.

After a few minutes of laying there, I gently move America onto the bed, so I can go and make a start on breakfast.

She stirs slightly as I stand up, but she thankfully doesn't wake up.

I pad out of the room softly, as not to wake the sleeping girl. And I go to make a start on breakfast for when America decides to wake up.

I was getting the waffles out of the toaster, when I hear a bedroom door close.

"Good morning, princessa." I greet, turning to smile at the still sleepy girl.

"Morning, Mama." She smiles back tiredly.

My heart leaps when she calls me Mama. I never thought I would be a mother again...

"You sleep well?" I ask, not knowing how sensitive she would be talking about last night.

"Yeah..." She sits down on a bar stool. "Thank you for staying with me..."

I walk around the island to give her a peck on the forehead. "Anytime, sweetheart."