~~

The bell rang for the end of the day and Alex left the class quickly, wanting to watch Lucas and Dustin embarrass themselves in an attempt to get Max to go trick or treating with them.

Max opened her locker and didn't see Lucas and Dustin come up behind her until the latter cleared his throat.

"Um... Hi, Max I'm Dustin and this is-"

"Lucas" The other boy finishes with a grin on his face, staring directly at Max, just Max. For some unfathomable reason Alex's chest tightened and she felt, angry? no Jealously?

Alex walked over and rested her arm on Max's shoulder, making both girls heart's beat a little quicker.

"yeah, i know, the stalkers" she responded, making Alex laugh and blush as Max looked up smiling at her.

"yeah, well no. We weren't stalking you" Lucas stuttered trying to save himself

"No, we were just concerned because, you know, your new and all," Dustin continued, also stuttering, racking his brain for an excuse. Alex just frowned, trying to remember when Dustin grew teeth.

"Yeah, for your safety," Lucas says, getting nervous so a joke follows next, "I mean you are hanging out with Alex"

Neither of the girls say anything but Alex looked down, hurt in her eyes. Was that an attempt at a joke, or just a backhanded insult, because Alex didn't think it was funny. Was she really that bad? She thought they were friends...

"Mmm-Humph," Dustin hummed in agreement, trying to back up Lucas even if he can see the girl didn't take it as a joke. Don't get me wrong, Dustin likes Alex, hell he had a crush on her the whole of last year but she had distanced herself and only really talks to them outside of school, she was a bit of a bitch. "Not just her, there are a lot of bullies here,"

"So many, its crazy" Lucas stutters, with weird eyebrow insinuations. Since when did they become so weird.

"Is that why your wearing proton packs?" Max asked, eyeing the boys' costumes, then looking over to see Alex smiling again which instantly makes her do the same.

"Well, these don't function" Dustin replied awkwardly - clearly he had a bit of a crush on the redhead.

"But i do have his handy-dandy little trap tight here," Dustin added, not helping himself but making the girls swap their attention to him, "look, it even opens and closes" he says, showing the box off and pressing a button to show its function, "look, look, voila! cool right?"

Neither girl speaks, "No?" he askes, still no responses, "okay, but, huh so, we were talking last night, and you're new here so you probably don't have any friends to go trick or treating with"

"What am i, a pet?" Alex jokes with an eyeroll, making Max laugh a bit, and Alex flushed pink.

Max furrows here eyebrows, 'was Alex gonna ask me to go trick-or-treating with her? ' she asked herself, but shook her head, she was probably just saying that they were friends.

"I mean you can come to Alex," Dustin stuttered, speaking too quick to comprehend, "we were just thinking because of all the bullies, it would be ok if you came with us"