Captain Barnacles

Winds were just starting to pick up as the winter season approached the Arctic. Though this place is known to be very cold all year round, it is even colder during this season. As the sun set before the long nights ahead, a concerned Polar Bear Mom stepped outside her den to find two wrestling polar bear cubs outside.

"Barnacles, Bianca, please stop playing and get back inside!" She yelled, but not in a mean way.

"Aww, but Mum, can we please just stay a bit longer?" The young cub in a blue scarf begged.

"No no, Barny dear. Come inside or your fur might freeze out here," His Mum responded.

"We're coming, Mum!" The other cub in a pink scarf reacted and ran back first. She turned back to her twin, "Race you back to the den, Featherpaws!"

"Heyy, wait up!" Finally, her twin followed her inside. Beverly, the polar bear's Mum, shook her head a little. It is no secret that children can be stubborn sometimes, her cubs included. Young Barnacles and Bianca always wrestled with each other, it's how polar bear cubs build their strength.

Beverly walked over to her shivering cubs, them already wearing soft blankets, "See what I told you?"

"It's brr, very cold, Mum. Can we have hot cocoa, please?" Bianca asked as she covered herself in more blankets.

Beverly strolled over to her trusty cocoa machine. In this universe, many families have a similar design, since got cocoa is a more common drink than coffee. Some might like the taste of seaweed tea, but that's pretty rare. "Here you go, Kids."

Her cubs started quietly drinking their cup of hot cocoa, their bodies warmed up with every sip. "Thank you, Mum!" Barnacles thanked his Mum.

Just like Natquik's den in The Red Foxes episode, Barnacles' family's den is just like a regular family home. Pictures of the family members hung up on the wall accompanied by the many bookshelves. While there were forms of technology during this time, people tend to rely on traditional books since it was more affordable and better for the eyes. On cozier days, Beverly tells her cubs all about the family, including their father. Bennett, their father, is told to be a respected sailor all across the Arctic and nearby lands. He was also a part of the military, now working to protect the coast near Canada. Unfortunately, Bennett was never found again after his ship crashed in the open oceans. Because of this, Beverly raised her cubs by herself, which surprisingly is a common practice among many animals like polar bears.

***

Today is the day when the polar scouts picked their leader. They are looking for someone not only strong but also willing to guide their fellow scout members on field missions. "So, who do you think can lead us throughout scout missions?" Professor Natquik, one of the volunteers teaching Polar Scouts, started.

"I think Barnacles should volunteer to be one," A polar bear scout suggested.

"M.. me?" Barnacles was startled when his name got called out.

"I think so, you are usually the fastest to understand our mentors, right?" Now another scout member replied.

"Plus, your father was a very remarkable sailor here. Many adults said to me you inherited a lot of his traits, right?" Numerous affirmative chatters were supporting the same idea.

"If you don't think you're ready, just say it," whispered Bianca.

Barnacles shook his head, he never wanted to let anybody down. With more confirmations from other cubs, he responded, "If you guys think I will be suitable for the leader position, I will do it!"