Act 4, Scene 4 - The Phone Call

Start from the beginning

"No need to tell me, brother," William chuckles. "I understand. I'll see you both shortly."

They hang up and Albert blinks for a moment, chest tight as he turns around and returns to their table.

"Is everything alright?" Eleanor asks, her eyes full of worry.

With a strained smile on his face, Albert drinks the last of his wine, returning his attention to her. "I'm afraid there's no time for dessert. William needs me and I'd appreciate it if you came too."

Eleanor stands up from the table. "Are you sure you need me too? If it's a family affair then I don't have to—"

He steps closer, speaking in a hushed tone. "I want you there."

With a nod of her head, Albert is ushering her away from the table and out towards the lobby. The concierge of the restaurant hands Albert the bill, which he settles as their coats are retrieved.

A few minutes later they're inside Albert's carriage and on their way back to the Moriarty Estate.

"Albert," Eleanor begins tentatively. "Are you sure everything is alright?"

Pursed lips, Albert glances out the window. "Eleanor, I believe now is the time to tell you the truth, what I'd wanted to tell you last week but didn't."

"Okay... You're worrying me." She huffs a laugh. "Can you tell me now?"

"This isn't easy to tell you," Albert starts, hands together as he looks down at his lap. "I'll begin with my work in the ministry. I've been working closely with Mycroft Holmes, the Director who works in the same department as your father."

She nods. "I know Mycroft. He and my father have worked together for some years now. What does he have to do with anything?"

He shakes his head. "He doesn't really, I'm just not sure how to tell you..."

"I'm all ears, Albert. Take your time." She encourages him and he looks up at her from inside the dark carriage.

"Eleanor, I've not been completely honest with you, but now is the time. I've told you before about our parents and that they died in a fire but my brothers and I managed to escape. But I haven't been truly honest about them."

His voice is calm, yet serious, and Eleanor sits up straight, waiting for him to continue.

"I've told you about their opinions on the lower class and the fact that they looked down on others. It's unfortunately how most of the privileged view the working-class members of society. But my brothers and I wanted to change that outlook."

"I completely agree," Eleanor nods. "You're in your right mind to want to change that."

Albert smiles. "We've been carefully orchestrating a plan to do this, to change British society. The brains behind the operation is Will, but we all work together behind the scenes."

"A group of you?" She asks.

He nods. "We call ourselves the 'Moriarty Group', it includes some old acquaintances of ours and people we trust entirely."

"I see," Eleanor chuckles. "That's rather noble of you all in fact. Has your plan been working?"

"Slowly but surely..." Albert folds his arms. "We're playing the long game."

"Albert, you had me worried but it seems like you're doing a good thing, right?" She leans forward to look into his eyes. "Is there something you're not telling me? About your means of carrying out said plan?"

The carriage pulls up outside the estate and Samuel jumps off his seat to open the side door.

Albert clears his throat, avoiding her gaze. "You'll understand more in a few moments. I promise all will be revealed."