chapter 4

i sat down at a table. it was quiet so i could think. however suddenly the door opened and gale walked in. with a sigh he sat down.

"there can't be a ceasefire. not after everything snow has done." i said

"he could have done a lot of damage tonight. most districts, people are still too afraid to join. they need the courage." gale said.

"why do you think he said that?" i asked. gale sighed again.

"i don't know. maybe he was forced. he didn't look that bad. maybe he made some kind of deal to protect you."

"he's still playing the game"

***

i was fast asleep in my bed when i suddenly had a nightmare. i woke up screaming. the door opened and newt ran in.

"i'm sorry. it's just a nightmare." i said

"that's ok i get them too." newt said then he turned around and started to walk out.

"newt, will you stay with me?" i asked. newt stopped and turned back around

"yeah" he whispered. he crawled in bed with me and i held him tightly.

"always" he whispered again. and then he rested his head atop mine. then like a flash i woke up. i quickly looked around for newt but he was nowhere to be seen. those stupid jabberjays really messed with my head. i haven't been able to stop thinking about newt. the possibility that he's still alive.

"hey. can't sleep?" my sister whispered. i looked over to see her laying in the bed next to mine. i shook my head no. then she quietly slid out of bed not to wake mom and crawled in the bed with me. she looked at me.

"tell me what's happening. i'm good at keeping secrets. even from mom." she said.

"no one hates the capitol more than me. and i wanna help. but i just keep thinking, even if we win this war what happens to peeta and everyone else who's been captured? i know he nor anyone is safe there but some people like peeta are not safe here either."

"i don't think you know how important you are to them. if you want something you just have to ask. you could demand almost anything. they'd have to agree to it."

"i should wake you up more often bri." i said tucking her hair behind her ear

"get some sleep now."

"you too"

***

i stood in a room with plutarch and coin.

"i've decided i'll be your mockingjay. but i have some conditions." i said pulling out a list

"peeta and the other tributes, johanna mason and annie cresta, will be rescued at the earliest opportunity. if and when peeta is liberated he will receive a full and unconditional pardon. no punishment will be inflicted. and the same goes for the other tributes." i said. coin stared at me.

"no." she said firmly

"it's not their fault you abandoned them in the arena. they're doing and saying whatever they can to survive." i said

"individuals don't make demands in 13. there will be a tribunal. and a fair judgement. thank you." she said

"the victors will be granted immunity. and you will announce that in front of the entire population of 13. you will hold yourself and your government responsible or you will find another mockingjay." i said sternly.

"that's it. that's her. right there. isn't that who i promised you? she wears the costume. gunfire in the background. a hint of smoke. our mockingjay. madam president, we're losing ground, because the people are losing heart. this is worth the risk. she's worth the risk. pardons, tribunals. power of the people. it can all be the bedrock of the new panem but in wartime i think even the noblest of causes can be bent a little bit. right?" plutarch said.

"do you have any other conditions?" coin asked. i looked back at my list

"my sister gets to keep her cat." i said