Mr Ren paused. "I'll take that into consideration." He leaned forward. "After I apologise to you about Saturday."

"What?"

"It hurts to hear you apologise for shouting at me when I was a complete jerk to you," he said. "I acted immature and I completely undermined your feelings which was irresponsible of me. You were right to shout at me. You were actually right about everything. I don't like spending time with those people at all. I despise every second I have to act like I enjoy degrading different kinds of people who aren't the same as me. I only–" He paused as he broke eye contact with you, turning his head away.

"What is it?" You said.

He was quiet, and he didn't say anything as he was trying to gather himself.

You leaned forward and held his hand, saying, "it's just us."

"I'm not exactly good at communicating my emotions."

"I've got time," you said and smiled.

"I only pretended to enjoy spending time with them because I liked the feeling of fitting in for once." You nodded, listening intently while still holding his hand. "I grew up an only child and my parents didn't pay much attention to me. It didn't help that I was also incredibly unpopular at school. I was the quiet, smart kid and people either found me annoying or intimidating. I didn't have any friends whatsoever and even my teachers noticed that I was struggling to fit in." You moved your other hand and placed it on his, enclosing both of your hands around his. "When I got to university, I met those people who you had the displeasure of meeting at the yacht party. I developed a whole new personality and they actually enjoyed spending time with me, which was something I'd never experienced before. So, I played along. For too long. I found that every time I spent even ten minutes with them, I was exhausted, but I was so enamoured with the fact that I was finally starting to fit in, that I didn't care. I just liked that they liked me. And that's the only reason why I ever act like that, because I know that if I don't, I wouldn't have any friends."

You paused. "Well, I like you just the way you are," you said. "And I want to be your friend."

He chuckled. "You know, I didn't even head back to the party after I dropped you off because as soon as you weren't there I realised how much I'd rather be with you. I want you to know that I will not be seeing them anymore. So, you won't have to either. In fact, you won't have to be seeing anyone I know anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't want you to be my fake girlfriend anymore."

"But sir, what about your parents and–"

"You didn't let me finish," he said and cleared his throat before pausing. "Because I want to take you on an actual date."

"Oh," was the only word that escaped your mouth as your hands slipped back to your sides. "What about paparazzi?"

"You can come to my condo."

"But your parents–" You said. "They won't want you dating someone like me. And their investments too."

"I don't care," he said. "They'll learn to like you and the company will survive without their funds."

You sighed as you held your head in your hands. You had wanted this for so long, but it didn't feel right. You wanted to say, 'yes, of course I'll go on a date with you,' but it seemed too easy, especially because you were still hurt by his actions. "I know it was difficult for you to open up to me about your past and I thank you for doing that." You sucked in a deep breath. "But I'm finding it very hard to forgive you right now. You really hurt me, Mr Ren."